G Scale Model Train Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Noob, I cheated, Radio Shack carries blinking LED's. Disadvantage of them is they all blink independent of each other.
That would work. Usually we only need one or two at the most per an engine. Unless one is doing blinking ditch lights then timing might be an issue.
Is radio shack still around??

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Noob, there is a web site and it appears to carry the blinking LED's. I do miss the one that was just 5 minutes from me, could get anything at the spur of the moment.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Decided to do the Coupler Lift bars from brass this time, while the steel wire is durable and holds it's shape in an impact,, it's just a pain to shape with small pliers

·
Registered
56 Posts
So you cannot have alternating ditch lights?

Are you using magnet wire?
Greg. I found a neat little circuit on ebay for alternating leds. It took about 10 minutes to build. I run it off of 1 3.7v rechargeable. Arrived very promptly from China. The panto car in the bullet train has 2 lights in the back.
Flasher

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
How did Santa Fe use their ditch lights? On solid, alternate flash at grade crossings? Or? I've set mine up to automatically alternate flash for ten seconds with a grade crossing horn and then go back to solid.

·
Super Modulator
21,041 Posts
Here's a link about ATSF: (about 1990, all locos were to be outfitted by 1996

Apparently not all Santa Fe, really BNSF locos had flashing lights, most that flashed seem to have been bought from SP.

This is from a cursory investigation

Greg

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
So you cannot have alternating ditch lights?

Are you using magnet wire?
It something very much like magnet wire, they are Christmas string lights. There is a fine insulative coating on the wires that has to be scraped off before soldering.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Some of that stuff will have the insulation melt away while soldering... did you try that?

Greg
I actually did test just soldering the wire and found connectivity and bonding issues. Scraping and sanding the coating off at solder points yielded the best results.

·
Super Modulator
21,041 Posts
Was just curious there is a version of magnet wire that does this, but it probably costs more money. I have used some of the stuff I am talking about and it works a charm.

Just taking a shot in the dark, I hate scraping magnet wire! (Made a few DC motors back in the 50's and 60's)

Greg

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
How did Santa Fe use their ditch lights? On solid, alternate flash at grade crossings? Or? I've set mine up to automatically alternate flash for ten seconds with a grade crossing horn and then go back to solid.
Got a link for that?

141 - 160 of 162 Posts