G Scale Model Train Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I own a Resistance Soldering Set, not cheap, but it works somewhat like welding, pretty much and instant solder joint. That's how they solder on brass engines, etc.

trainman

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
O.K...2 things i am having to relearn from the school of hard knocks.
#1 Don't use "Farm Implement" spray paint..
#2 ( and this is probably more important) Paint the light colors FIRST so that you dont have to use as many coats and the edges of your light colors start looking like Vinyl that's ready to peal off.:cautious:
Lets pray that clear coat does miracles .:LOL:

·
Registered
113 Posts
As a model painter I think you are doing a great job, it does take skill to tape off a model correctly and you are correct in painting the light colors first, many times when painting yellow I will paint the model white first, yellow is a hard color to cover in thin coats, or use white primer depending on the model. I hope you plan to use a dullcoat clear finish coat, it makes the model just stand out and gives it the rich look. The blue color looks like about the correct sheen I would want. I will say one thing when you first posted this article I thought it was more work then you wanted to do, or could do, but you proved me wrong, your a pretty good modeler, most couldn't do what you are doing and get the results your getting. Here are two tractor sprinklers that my neighbor thru in the trash, bless his heart, he can't fix anything. Yes, that's John Deere green in the spray can, now there too nice to use.

trainman

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Not in any way accurate,,, but i think they look better than the condition they were in.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Noob, from what I just read, Farm Implement paint is made primarily for equipment that is kept and used outdoors, so your loco will probably not fade or oxidize, good choice. Is maybe the spray a little heavy for model use?? From what I see in the pics. GREAT JOB

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Ok so done repairing the pilots.
They are in no way anywhere near accurate, but i have to think about giving the coupler room to move for R2 curves as these pilots will be affixed to the frame and not the bogies.

before

P.S if you ever have a old ink jet printer die on you don't throw it out, the body panel are styrene plastic and contain a lot of usable shapes. And the old printers are also full of 30v motors.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Noob, from what I just read, Farm Implement paint is made primarily for equipment that is kept and used outdoors, so your loco will probably not fade or oxidize, good choice. Is maybe the spray a little heavy for model use?? From what I see in the pics. GREAT JOB
Thank You!

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Looks good. Did you also add the brake line or had someone else already done it.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
I think the only time I have seen the curved line is on the three axle truck????
Only one brake cylinder on the M truck???

101 - 120 of 141 Posts