G Scale Model Train Forum banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Question... The pilot.. Blue or black??? i can't tell on this engine from this photograph. Can anyone tell which color that is on the front? It kinda looks like black.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Here is the modified pilot on my GP40. Very close in looks to a GP20. I went with black but with weathering its hard to tell blue from black. I also went with the front steps removed which required the cut lever to have the handles. I think it was sometime in the 70's that the FRA outlawed the steps???

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Greg,
My guess is he printed it on the tape then cut out the letters after sticking to loco. He like teasing us. He also has cut out the area for the S.F. yellow to the right of the letters.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
Did you apply tape and then cut out by hand? How did you do this? Looks pretty good from here.

Greg
Took a photo of the Logo , tried to scale it properly and then printed it on to a transparent self adhesive sheet or label paper. Once positioned on top of the masking tape i cut out the letters with an xacto knife. The complex curve at the front is a bit of a guess.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Question... Are the outside brakes on these engines missing???
Or is it just an optical illusion?

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Probably Bloomburg M version trucks instead of the earlier B version.

81 - 100 of 141 Posts