G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Modulator
21,793 Posts

Well, I took your smokestack off!

If there are that many cracks, I would worry that all the plastic is brittle, and will continue to come apart.

Good Luck!

Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,793 Posts
Actually, it's more likely that those whiskers were burned through during a derailment... the ends look blued.... When there is a short through the wheels (like derailing on a switch), that contact area is so small that it overheats the wire there, and at least softens it, if not burns through.

But it does not really matter, they need replacing. Is power still being picked up at the axle tips? It's important not to rely on the whiskers only for power pickup, especially if you are not using the skates.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,793 Posts
you can get the replacement journal bearings/bushings from USA trains, the better fit will help conductivity.

cheap guy tip: if you look at those bushings in the side frames, they will be worn on one side only (because the weight of the loco is supported by the axle tips.

You can use a pair of pliers to rotate the bushings 90 degrees (or at least 180 degrees) and it's like having a new bearing.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,793 Posts

·
Super Modulator
21,793 Posts

·
Super Modulator
21,793 Posts
the prototype weighed 240,000 pounds. Since this is a 1:32, a scale weight would be 7.32 pounds, just FYI.... I see a fair amount of weight there. It should pull like nobody's business!

Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,793 Posts
Here's a link about ATSF: (about 1990, all locos were to be outfitted by 1996

Apparently not all Santa Fe, really BNSF locos had flashing lights, most that flashed seem to have been bought from SP.

This is from a cursory investigation

Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,793 Posts
Was just curious there is a version of magnet wire that does this, but it probably costs more money. I have used some of the stuff I am talking about and it works a charm.

Just taking a shot in the dark, I hate scraping magnet wire! (Made a few DC motors back in the 50's and 60's)

Greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts