G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest boy loves the Polar Express.  We had decided to get the O-Gauge set for his b-day next month.  The average price is around 250-300 and has had glowing reviews about the quality of it.
But, I just saw that they now have (as of the last couple months) a G scale version that costs less!  It has a re-chargable 9.6 volt battery.  And it is only about 125.00.  
I can't find any reviews, so I was hoping someone could shed some light on it.  Is the quality equal to the O-gauge version?  I have yet to purchase my 1st G scale, so I'm not sure if this is something that would be fit for the outdoor track I plan to lay out this summer.
Any suggestions?  His b-day is coming soon so I need to decide sometime quickly.
Any comments on either set would be most helpful, or especially if you are familiar with both, please post.
Thanks a lot.
Dan

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
From what I have read here and on other fora about the Lionel large scale set is that it is pretty much toy train quality. It is a smaller scale (1:32 or smaller) than most large scale. if you are looking for a decent quailty starter set I would suggest a Bachmann Big Hauler set (though the track is for indoor use and the power supply is weak at best), or a set by AristoCraft (Eggliner, Lil' Critter, 0-4-0, or Rodgers sets) or LGB. Though finding these sets right after the holidays could be difficult. Starter sets come with 4 foot diameter track, the minimum size. If you are going to be laying track out in the garden, you will probably want to use a larger diameter. It may serve you better in the long run to skip a starter set and buy your train, track and power supply separately.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Everybody that I know that has the Lionel O Gauge Polar Express just loves it and if that's the one your son wants I'd get it for him..The G Gauge version is a pos! Don't buy him a crappy train that'll only leave a bad impression and turn him off of the hobby..O & G both need more modelers..Oh and the Lionel Polar Express has lots of add-ons like more cars!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts