G Scale Model Train Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Moving on to some Sound! Yey! purchased a PiKO Soundraxx card.
This card actually has a ton of customizable sounds.
There is a two page key code chart for the various sounds, unfortunately one has to buy the 400 dollar remote to change it ;)
The stock sounds are actually very good to start. I'll post a video once i get it up and running.
Maybe later down the road ill get a NCE power CAB or PIKO controller to customize the sounds.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Can you say "Cubital Tunnel Syndrome" ill probably be mr tingle and numb fingers for the next week now, but this is the best way i could think of doing this, as a dremel would just melt everything.
I was hoping i would cut into the hollow area, but sadly it was solid all the way through.

Making it workable

I'm hoping this will work for the volume controls

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The 30mm PIKO pikup wheels are a tad large. Mostly it's the huge flanges that are a problem , but they work OK with some trimming of the frame and a washer. ( couldn't get in contact with to Gary for smaller wheels) I suspect the wheels will really bounce when they hit the switches.

The PIKO reed switch assemble will fit into the Lionel truck with a tad bit of modding

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
don't suppose there is a way to lower the steam hiss without a remote for the sound decoder?? Maybe a non-polarized capacitor on the speaker to filter out anything above 1300htz??

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Sound teat 2. The Lionel really needs more gear reduction. it is greatly affected by curves and even magnets. Later maybe, i might replace the drive gearing with some geared reduction boxes.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Modifying another trailing truck.
I searched high and low for a 41mm wheel but just could not find any. so i decided to try and use a PIKO 35mm low drag pickup wheel.
I wanted to keep the truck at the same hight so i decided to modify the truck and drill a new hub sleeve hole 3mm lower than the stock one. this required cutting off the access door
This would basically keep the trailing truck the same hight as it was with the 41mm wheel.

The door was then glued back into place and secured with pins that were heat sunk into the truck.
What sould of been a simple solution turned out to be a bit of a messy fix... But it works.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Love the mods so far, will be picking up a PRR version here shortly. I run on board battery power, so the power pickups isnt something I have to deal with. With the advant of 3d printing in metal. Would be wonderful if someone printed and offered a new set of metal rods and valve gear since this is most easily broken due to be super fragile. Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Love the mods so far, will be picking up a PRR version here shortly. I run on board battery power, so the power pickups isnt something I have to deal with. With the advant of 3d printing in metal. Would be wonderful if someone printed and offered a new set of metal rods and valve gear since this is most easily broken due to be super fragile. Mike
Yep metal centered wheels and valve gearing would be nice. However there will come a point where im going to have to ask myself why i didn't just invest in a Aster or a MTH with protosound 3 already installed. LOL ;) :D

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
I searched high and low for a 41mm wheel but just could not find any.
Your name isn't actually Dennis, is it? He's been looking for some for the same reason.

Bachmann Thomas coaches and trucks have very large wheels. The coach seems to be about 40mm. I have a collection bought from a guy in the UK who converted the coaches to 32mm and bogies/trucks.

I won't be back in MD (where they are located) until the end of May.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Your name isn't actually Dennis, is it? He's been looking for some for the same reason.

Bachmann Thomas coaches and trucks have very large wheels. The coach seems to be about 40mm. I have a collection bought from a guy in the UK who converted the coaches to 32mm and bogies/trucks.

I won't be back in MD (where they are located) until the end of May.
Save me a Set please Pete. I'll be getting back up with you in June. :D

61 - 80 of 92 Posts