G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Painted the interior of the cab green today.... no rhyme or reason, just spur of the moment thing. :D

Not at all acurite, but i don't want to sink too much into it. Also Google was oddly not very forthcoming with searches for a cab view of the 4-4-2 Atlantic.:confused:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I searched Hi and Low for a Thomas and Friends rolling stock wheel. But all i could fine was a whole hopper for nearly 70 dollars. I did however find this wheel which is one of the drive wheels from a consolidation outside frame. i figure i can turn down the shaft to the correct thickness and tweek the truck a bit. On the plus side, the wheel is very heavy and i will be able to run power pickups on it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Lighting done.
The lenses are made from the existing glass rhinestones. The lenses would pop out when a cavity for the led was drilled out.
Then i enlarged to light openings . i then used a dremel to grind down a flat on the back of of the stone. this proved somewhat challenging as the glass has a tendency to chip if held to tight or the dremel's speed was above or below 5k rpm. apparently that was some sort of vibration safe spot.
Then after threading in the LED i replaced the thr rhinestone lenses. grinding off the back of the rhinestones created enough space for the LED to sit between them.
The trailing lights appear orange in the video , but they are actually red.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I have two Lionel Atlantic and hopefully a third on the way. I have done a few mods to it from George Schreyers page. I need to add the power pick-ups either on the tender or the pony truck, which looks to be easier. My biggest concern is when it travels thru a insulated frog turnout, that over a period of time it will strip the gears from the jerking it does.. Awesome work on your locomotive...What size LED did you use on the marker lights?. I am going to add Led headlight when I get some resistors to use...
Travis.......

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
..What size LED did you use on the marker lights?. I am going to add Led headlight when I get some resistors to use...
Travis.......
They are a walmart wire lights, very small LEDs, in fact i had to use my Jewelers eyepiece to find the cathode side markings.
I think it was like 5 dollars for a string of 30 some lights.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
LATHE!? We don't need no stinking lathe!
Seriously though, i wish i had a lathe.
Turing the consolidated outside frame drive wheels down to fit properly in the trailing truck of the 4-4-2.

This was done via drill and dremel with cutoff disk, then file, then 400 grit, then 700 grit, then 1000 grit, then 2000 grit, then polishing cloth.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ok i decided i would like to try to run two 4-4-2 Atlantics in tandem , but this was going to prove problematic with 5' dia curves. so i set about trying to modify the coupler. The only solution was to figure out how to attach a coupler to the front pilot wheels and still look good and allow the pilot truck to still function well.
I found some hard metal used for hanging curtain rods and began to shape it

use of a washer or spacer allows the swing arm and couple arm to move freely without binding

more to come :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Modifying another 4-4-2 front truck. This time i decided to use the small bachmann wheels.
One thing i notice right off was that the bachmann plastic sleeves on the wheel axles were just a tad too tight of a fit for the opening on the lionel truck. So i decided to bore out the opening just a tad, in fact only a very very small amount of boring or honeing is required.

Alternatively, if one didn't want to modify the truck,, the plastic sleeve on the bachmann wheel could be turned down a hair

Ither method seems to work fine.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Were they these wheels? I did not realize they still sold wheels with plastic centers.

https://www.trainsetsonly.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Master/M160/lg160-
92422_200x350.jpg
the center is metal but i just painted them black. However, i think bachmann did away with the solid metal axle. now it is a small metal axle rod covered by plastic sleeves

·
Super Modulator
22,263 Posts
Hmm.... I thought that the plastic centers were the old version and the all metal solid axle was the new ones.

But I went to the site and indeed the picture shows plastic "axles"s... on both the small and large...

Greg

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hmm.... I thought that the plastic centers were the old version and the all metal solid axle was the new ones.

But I went to the site and indeed the picture shows plastic "axles"s... on both the small and large...

Greg
What's odd is these wheels came in the newer "Spectrum" labeled packaging . i guess now we have to search for older stock to get the metal axles

41 - 60 of 92 Posts