G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i was finally able to acquire a Lionel 4-4-2.

Pulling from the helpful pages from Gary ElMassian https://elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=217&Itemid=253
and George Schreyer http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/atlantic_tips.html
I thought i might try and make a mod log for this engine.

The goals of this mod log are to..
#1 Do a tear down to become familiar with the engine and try to identify possible weak points.
#2 To correct those problemed areas.
#3 Make cosmetic enhancements that may or may not be accurate.

Because funds are always limited this is something that may transpire over a matter of time.
updates may be few and far between, however stay tuned, there is,
More to come!

Will be studying this closely.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of the first things that caught my attention with this engine is that it seems to be a visible representation of a struggle between a Lionel model railroad enthusiast and the accounting department. The model is very neat and finished well. mold lines and seams are kept to a minimum. there is surprising detail on the conductor and engineer that came with the engine. and while the side rod and driving gear are plastic, they are nicely detailed.
However,, you can feel the influence of the accounting department in it's weight alone, it's extremely lite for such a large engine. it's liteness combined with the limited amount of electrical pickups cause issues on my track , especially when the engine rolls over a turnout with a plastic frog, the engine jerks and sputters displaying a definite loss of power. So this will be one of the first area's i will explore.

·
Administrator
5,744 Posts
it's liteness combined with the limited amount of electrical pickups cause issues on my track , especially when the engine rolls over a turnout with a plastic frog, the engine jerks and sputters displaying a definite loss of power. So this will be one of the first area's i will explore.
Take a look at some of the "Keep Alive" boards (also known as "Current Keepers") now available. Far easier than trying to install additional pickups. Just make sure they're rated for your voltage.

·
Super Modulator
22,262 Posts
I did extend the power pickup to the tender, made a world of difference, my Pacific would stall on Aristo switches.

I would like to add pickups to more wheels, but the tender added was sufficient.

Of course, the ball bearing wheels and fitting them to the tender are more work than Dwight's suggestion.

Greg - 245

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok question for the knowledgeable.
One of the drive wheels on the lionel is slightly cammed resulting in a slight, all be it noticeable at scale speed , oscillating nose dip. I don't have a lathe or the proper tools to separate the wheel set. and i would be afraid of breaking the plastic. so aside from trying to use a jewelers file to even it out,, does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since the Bachmann wheels already has a bit of ridge at the meeting of the shaft and wheel it was necessary to remove a little under a millimeter of the protruding ring on the lionel truck.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
How about showing it going through a switch with a plastic frog?

Greg
Very good idea!
Before it would jerk and literally skid through the frog.

One thing i have noticed is a very slight front to rear rock. i checked the quartering and the wheal set seats. i can only assume one of the wheels is cammed somewhat.
Also the headlamp apparently couldn't withstand the uninterrupted power directly from the track. It was nice and bright but it blew out within a few minutes of operation. and i marked all the wires before i disconnected it so it was reconnected in the same polarity as it was before i disassembled it.
So i guess a rectifier and regulator will be on order as well. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Maybe you just need to tie your leads into the ones from the drivers, obviously you bypassed the loco's regulator ...

·
Super Modulator
22,262 Posts
There's success, running slowly mine would stall on Aristo switches, and even then only 4 points of power pickup was not good.

I'll follow your lead on the pilot, although I might use thinner wipers, I'm a little concerned about getting the tension right.

Yeah, those are big drivers, it would be nice to true them up a bit on a lathe.

Mine had a burned out headlight too, seems that they picked a bulb that was more like a 12v bulb than a 24v bulb.

Greg

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe you just need to tie your leads into the ones from the drivers, obviously you bypassed the loco's regulator ...
wish it had a regulator. i'm actually ordering one today.
Just looking at it, it seems Lionel wired the bulb directly to the motor which apparently provided some sort of regulation to the bulb. Hard to say because there were wirenuts on the connections so the loco had been opened up before.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Once I added some weight to the loco and wire the tender for pick up mine runs great. I just installed an LED for head light. Later RJD

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I had seen this on other 4-4-2 mod logs but it still surprises me that Lionel chose to use a ziptie to secure the motor. While it is a very good zip tie i felt maybe adding a few to help share the load would be benificial. Now here's hoping they don't break and strip up the gears ;)
This is a mod i will probably revisit. I can't help but wonder, due to the unused holes in the chassis that maybe Lionel had originally designed some sort of metal stirrup to hold the motor

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Once I added some weight to the loco and wire the tender for pick up mine runs great. I just installed an LED for head light. Later RJD
Yes Added weight was a definite mod to do. I found it interesting that the Lionel weight screws aligned up perfectly with a Bachmann weight. Go figure:) Which was convenient for me since i had one laying around. Although ideally i would of preferred the weight location to be lower.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts