G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Webber,

While this isn't a direct answer to your G-gauge specific request, here's a path I'm taking due to limited space/$$. With the help of several savvy members of this board and the GR one, I concluded that I could run three gauges in the space available: G (45mm) O, and S. Keeping my chosen scale of F (1:20.3) for all gauges, I could fit in tight radii and hence, more track. It works out to be Fn3, Fn2, and Fn18"--I think! 3', 2' & 18" narrow gauge in F scale. That last is the S gauge track.

How it works--in my head at least--is that I have (and wanted) a point to point layout with lots of transfer, thus switching operations. I happen not to be one who likes to watch a train run in a circle. Just a genetic defect, I suppose. So the 18" gauge is located in and around the lead mine, the 2' is for the logging operation, and the 3' is the SL between these industries and a fictional standard gauge. Note that the O gauge (2') is going to be dual gauge with part of the G gauge mainline. (I just wanted it that way).

So, it's a different approach than usually is found. Oh, and I'm a scratchbuilder. I set the era ca 1875 (1845-1899) so I could use strap-iron rail and not have to pay the exhorbitant price of brass or the other metals. This allows a wide range of equipment styles, though I actually prefer small 2 axle cars and critters or 0-4-0's.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Web

I don't have anything built yet. I've been over a year trying to get our house and my wife's business relocated/reworked, and flood damage to my home/her business repaired. So I've had lots of time to think. I'm a retired tool & diemaker, so I have a good amount of confidence in my 'plans' and abilities

I'd be very happy to open a thread on this subject, but I'd like to leave that to you as I'm pretty much computer illiterate.

As for plans in writing, I have none, since I worked from engineering sketches rather than blueprints. Anyway, too much advance planning can lock one in. My benchwork will be openframe, the 'zero elevation' of the track will be about 3" above the benchwork, thus allowing for 'dips' and 'fall away' terrain. The 45 mm SL main will climb towards the mine past the logging site (which has the O gauge track for dual trackage) to the 18" mine tracks. The layout will be U shaped in a 22ft x 12ft room, with the possibility of a 'peninsula' in the middle. Two operators, max. DC block control. PP. I'll use wooden rails with strap iron (copper wire, flattened) and stub switches. These last will save a great deal of money. I have a number of pixes collected I can share with you that pertain to the earlier era of RRing. I'll also have turntables at each end. They're not difficult to build. I intend initially to hand power mine, but might motorize in the future.

One thing I want is animated trackside structures. These will be designed and built on an as-need basis.

Each of the three sites will be developed to suit, with their own gauges. I'm looking forward to the mine, particularly, as a good deal of trackage can be put down to serve the mine's needs.

Then there's the trans-shipment opportunities for switching and whatnot.

Lots of ideas, no nails driven, yet.

Les

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.