G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I like and model early american (Colrado Narrow Gauge) locomotives.

David Fletcher told me of a book on American built for Australia lcomotives. This book is produced in America!

And, even better it is on a sale price from the publishers, who are Indiana Univeristy Press ([email protected]) and is having finally (after our dozy and slow post service delivered it to me) I now have a copy.

The title is American Steam on Australian Rails, by David Burke.

All I can say is ''buy it'' whilst you have the chance! It is in my opinion an absolute gift! Abd I had to pay almost the price of the book in postage on top of the price of it.

The reason for the sale price of $14.60, is that it was published in 2004, so I supect that they are clearing the shelf of them. SDtrasburg sell it at $50.

The book has 168 pages with color and is 12" square virtually. It has a lot of photos of Baldwins and others that to a degree followed american practice, so is a book of 1880s or so styles of loco's. Not all are from that period as the Australian states were buying steam locos up to the 1950's so they stretch forward to there, as some were american right to the end of steam.

Thanks for the information David, the book is a beauty (or should that be Beaut)?

Finally I am amused that this is a book of Australian steam locos, buitlt in America, and published in America, but bought by an Englishman - again the internet has gone round the world in the collection of knowledge!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Posted By chuckger on 07/19/2008 12:45 PM
Hi Peter,
I just checked the site, the book is back to $49.95. When did you get your copy?
chuckger

Hi Chuck,
It was sent on the 16th of last month; after a internet check which turned them up. As you say a quick check shows they have put it back up - Rats! Its a good book.

A quick check on Amazon.com gives a price (second hand) ar $20 - 30, for the first two listed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts