G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My local library 2 blocks away has installed a 3D printer for public use.

The rules are you bring in your file on a thumb drive, they bring it up in the Cura 21.02 software. The SW supports the printer, a Luzbot Mini

https://www.lulzbot.com/store/printers/lulzbot-mini

They have up to 7 days to print the object.

I have not designed any 3D models but my buddy Cliffy has, he makes amazingly nice parts such as for his V&T flanger. he also made a new pilot for our Delton/Aristocraft C-16 locomotives. The supplied pilot is very long and has no provisions for a coupler mount. Those were printed at Shapeways.

Cliffy sent me the file and I dropped it off at the library. Their printer only uses PLA filament, by the way.. Took them overnight to print it.

Here is the finished product.
which I would be happy to show you if google photos would let me, ah well

Not too bad....and the cost was very reasonable

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
It works! but you have to use that crazy-long link..
Go to google photos.
click on the photo you want.
Right-click on the photo and choose "view image"
In the URL (address) widow, right-click on the link, then copy it...its crazy, like this:

But if you paste that link between the IMG tags, it displays.

Scot

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I supposes that folks could past the link and see the photo, true
Dennis my prior photo storage Picasa web photos and Photobucket both worked on MLS
This one I lay on the steps of Google photos, and I also can not post photos during chat, very frustrating

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Richard.
Getting back to the print, it is an FDM type of 3D printer, so I understand there will be some visible layering to deal with

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Our library has four Makerbots and a Printrbot, Jr. 3D printing is really useful, especially when pieces of trains break or disappear in the undergrowth. I've made a few and they can be viewed on the SVGRS facebook page.

go to Sacramento Valley Garden Railway Society on Facebook.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts