G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
219 Posts
Mark,
May I ask which of the Roudhouse locomotives you own? I have a RH Katie and it will run at 45 degrees , without filling the boiler with boiling water. My locomotive wants to start moving when the pressure gauge gets to 15 PSI , and it will run down to almost no pressure on the gauge. Less than 5 lbs PSI . I wonder about your statement about the safety lifiting at 5 lbs. Most RH models have an operating pressure of 40 lbs .

Did you build it from a kit, or was it new, used? Lets see if we can help you figure out what is going on, Roundhouse Models are supposed to be " bullet proof " when it comes to operating. I also have a RH Old Colonial ( Lady Ann ) that is 26 years old and it runs like new. Bought it used and it wasn't supposed to even run !

Charles M SA # 74

· Registered
219 Posts
Mark,
I would say the first thing is to sort out the burner problem. If it is possible I would remove the fuel tank and flush it out . Might have some dirt in it after all of those years. I would also check the nozzle of the jet. A dirty jet would give you the kind of problems you describe too. A Roundhouse burner is designed as a unit in terms of how it works in the flue. That is the size of the flue and the jet nozzle opening work together .

If the boiler has had water with a high lime concentration in it, the outside of the flue may be scaled over. This would reduce the ability to raise steam. The fact that the safety vavle is whisping at 5 lbs makes me thing lime scale is in the valve too. It should not whisp till about 40 or so pounds. Might be able to see down the safety valve opening with a small flashlite. People have recommended vinegar to remove lime scale in boilers. If you try this , I would not leave it in longer than a hour at a time. Then a couple of rinses of clean water to see if any scale comes out. I wouldn't suggest steaming with vinegar in the boiler however.

My Katie had been in its box for 2.5 years before I bought it new. The first steam up , worked fine. Second time to steam up the safety valve would not close. Had to take it apart and clean it , it had dirt in it and would not seat. Works like a champ now.

Hope these suggestions can get you started. Keep posting progress or not , we will see what we can do.

Charles M SA # 74

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.