G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 14.8V 2800mAH Li-ion battery pack for my current project, ignorantly assuming that the cells were the same size as Nicad and the like. Doh!
When I received them and found that the pack is too large for my purposes, I planned to separate it into two packs in series. However, I know Li-Ion is a different breed of battery. Is this plausible to separate them?

Thanks,

Matt

· Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gents, for taking the time to respond.
I am thinking that perhaps my first experience with Li-Ion batteries should not involve disassembly of a pack. Theerefore, I have ordered two 7.4V packs to straddle the interior. I haven't decided whether or not it is worth losing the shipping to return the first pack, or save it for my next battery project. I think I remember reading that these have a long shelf life. Is that true?

Thanks again,

Matt

· Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello, Rick, and welcome to MLS! I appreciate your taking the time to post. I have looked over your site, and see that you are no stranger to large scale trains - nice to know.

Sorry for the confusion, but Greg is correct. When I spoke of separating the batteries, I did mean physically into two 7.4V packs, which I decided to order instead, and received yesterday. I haven't really decided whether to keep my originally ordered pack for a future project, or return it, but I will keep you in mind in the future either way.

Take care,
Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.