G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Modulator
22,734 Posts
Not to argue with Tony, but you could separate them, if you can determine how they are connected, and there is a reasonable way to do this.

First, obviously all the cells will be in series, so you need to maintain that. Many packs have "per cell" monitoring, which means the internal electronics connects to EVERY cell inside. That will make things much more tricky.

Also, if you need to lengthen the "Wires" (often stainless steel straps spot welded to the cells), you cannot get heat on the cells, like you could get away with on a nicad.

Bottom line, VERY careful repositioning is fine, but you cannot go south of the electronics.

Of course, the pack will be non-returnable if you do anything physical to it. You can cut off the thin outer shrink wrapper to see if you want to try, but then you are in "non-returnable" land.

Regards, Greg

· Super Modulator
22,734 Posts
not all li-ion batteries will hold a charge 2.5 years... try that with your cell phone... best to check them every once in a while, unless you want to take the chance to be the guy with one burning up on him, because one cell reversed ... not worth the risk in my opinion.

Once someone has had a battery fire, they usually get a bit more conservative.

Regards, Greg

· Super Modulator
22,734 Posts
Mike, are you setting me up? ha ha!

Yeah, one cell going bad in a pack that does not have per-cell connections can only be determined by trying to charge the pack and seeing the terminal voltage (or the pack melting down, no kidding).

Depends on how "Bad" the cell goes.

All the more reason for regular maintenance of a battery pack.

Dan, I was not specific enough. Charge your phone. Take the pack out. See if it holds a charge for 2.5 years. It will not. Not all rechargeable lithium packs are DESIGNED for long shelf life. Cell phones DON'T need long shelf life like a flashlight sitting in your trunk does. Everything in battery design is a tradeoff with something else. (Sorry I was not clear in my example).

Regards, Greg

· Super Modulator
22,734 Posts
Bill, I too will solder on li-ion batteries, fast and with a hot iron.

But, I would caution people who are not pretty expert at soldering to NOT DO THIS!

Yours and my idea of "quickly" might not be the same as someone less experienced... and this could easily start a fire.

My advice is to have an expert solderer do this, or go to the local battery supply place and have them spot weld the straps to make up a pack. If you have batteries with "tabs" on them already, then this is not an issue, although be careful anyway!

Regards, Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.