G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LGB train which is called a Super Hero train and has a single motor block. I want to convert it to DCC power. Can someone tell me how to separate the track picks ups from the motor leads. Thanks for any help. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Don't have one of those, but if like most LGB motor blocks, outer wires are motor? inner wires are track? Or is it the other way arround?

I either unscrew the plate and peak inside.

Or'''
REMOVE LOCO FROM RAILS, INPLUG CABLE, then apply track power to Either the inner or outer pair. One pair will make themotor run. That is the pair you want to connect the orange / gray wires from the decoder to. Orange goes to the right hand pin of that pair.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
LGB generally has either three or four wires going to the board. If it's four, it's easy--two of them are track powrr, the other two go to the motor. If it's three, it's harder. But I've only ever worked on the smaller 0-4-0 and 2-6-0 LGB engines

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Scott for the pic also. It's what I have. The motor block has 4 wires. do they unplug? later RJD

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I wired one of these for DCC. there are 4 pins on the top of the motor block. they are jumperd with 2 jumpers. 2 of the pins are track power, two are for the motor. Sorr,y I can't remeber which is which. pull the jumpers, cut them in 2, wire two for track power to your DCC chip and 2 for motor from your dcc chip, plug them back in and you are set. Also get a white led and 1000 ohm resistor, wire that to your head light output plug it into the clear pastic flange in the front of your car and you will have headlights.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
On LGB 4 wire motor blocks the outer posts are motor and the inner posts are track power.

On the train set mentioned above, you can just remove the plug from the motor block and rewire it for your conversion.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dan that sounds easy enough. Later RJD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts