G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the LGB Value starter set #92400.  The engine seems to slip a lot on the track.  Im guessing I need to add weight but it does not look like there is any room to do this.  I tried to put some weights in the cab but did not work.  The weight has to be over the wheels.  Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it. Thanks  It slipes more when the track starts to get dirty (Greasy).

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Does it slip when running light, or only when pulling a heavy load?  It shouldn't slip under normal loads.

If the track is greasy, clean it.  Also check to be sure there's a traction (friction) tire.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The loco with that set is not a Stainz. It uses the same chassis as the Porter (which are also slippery little buggers). The Stainz is a larger, more powerful (and more expensive!) loco.

As for adding weight, you're pretty much limited to the boiler and domes if you want to add it directly over the wheels. Another trick would be to replace the plastic front and rear buffers with lead (or mallory metal if you can find it) ones... That would probably involve casting them yourself, and it might be a bit tricky to get the balance just right..

Here is the thing though, a REAL loco that size could probably only pull about what the unmodified model will.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check the pickup skates to make sure that they can move freely up and down. Many of these engines sit and spin because the pickup skates hit a high spot on the track and actually lift the drivers just a tad. Then the engine slips. I've got one, and on the advice from Ridge Road Station, I lubricated the upper part of the skate. I also worked it up and down and a bit in and out, and sideways. That took care of any flash that might have been present, and the lubrication did the rest. It's a tough little engine, and it runs fine now. I'd bet that yours has the same problem.
SandyR

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
The Toytrain series of 9xxxx engines do not have traction tires. I have many of these and they will ou tpull my MTS version porter.
It is the weight of this little engine limiting you, plus as mentioned the pick up shoes/skates could be hampering your traction.
I use the conductive grease by LGB on my springs for the skates to improve their motion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts