G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I searched and cannot seem to come up with the answer, and when I compare images side by side, I can't seem to see any obvious differences. What does the 'N' at the end of an LGB switch model number indicate? IE. 1605 vs. 1605N

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was thinking that the one with the N is the electric switch machine model and the one without the N is manual operation. I purchased some LGB switch machines from Watts Train Shop some 25-30 years ago and they changed the switch machines to electric and wrote an N at the end of the switch model number.

trainman

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may be right, thanks. I was thinking the '5' or '50' (on newer models #'s) indicated electric throw, but perhaps that is what the 'N' is for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The N indicates that the turnout is the "new" (as of around the late 1970s, early 1980s) model with an EPL drive motor. The original electric turnouts had twin coil switch machines.

Likewise, the 5075N switchbox, which replaced the 5075 box, had built in diodes that would operate the new two-wire (orange and white) EPL drives in addition to the old, three-wire (green, yellow, and white) twin-coil drives.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
The N indicates that the turnout is the "new" (as of around the early 1980s) model with an EPL drive motor. The original electric turnouts had twin coil switch machines.
That is correct.
One additional interesting operational difference besides the two wire (EPL) vs the original three wire operation is that the original electric turnout would return to its original position if the turnout was cut open (like a turnout with manual drive) while the two wire EPL turnout changes direction when cut open.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like I said back in my post above, when I purchased the LGB switches from Watts Train Shop years ago they said that they were upgrading the switches to the new EPL switch machines and thus the N was added to the model number on the box. For some reason I ended up with four of the old type switch machines that I have never used and are new, I think Watts just gave them to me because they didn't want them and everything was going to EPL and they had no use for them.

trainman

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
And the N was only used on the 4 digit model numbers, 5 digit codes (produced mid 90's and later) did not use the N to the best of my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Like I said back in my post above, when I purchased the LGB switches from Watts Train Shop years ago they said that they were upgrading the switches to the new EPL switch machines and thus the N was added to the model number on the box.
Yes, but the upgrade was from the twin coil drive to the EPL drive, not an unpgrade from manual to electric.
LGB never shipped the 1605 turnout with a manual drive.
For some reason I ended up with four of the old type switch machines that I have never used and are new, I think Watts just gave them to me because they didn't want them and everything was going to EPL and they had no use for them.
Do you still have those turnouts?
I see people looking for them occasionally because of the way they work when cut open.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That is what happened, Watts had these switches with the twin coil drive, they changed out the twin coil for the new EPL units and changed the number on the box and added the N. They gave me the old coil drives for free. I assume they did this because at the time I was buying a lot of LGB from them, probably $500-$800 per month and that was in the 1980's. Yes, I still have four on the old coil type machines and some 10-12 EPL units, all new and never used.

trainman

·
Registered
17 Posts
changed the number on the box and added the N.
As KRS said, LGB never sold manual R3 points.

The model numbers never changed until they went to the 5 digit scheme. And then, they just appended a 0 to the existing number and dropped the N. The 1605 (twin-coil drive) then 1605N (original EPL drive) and finally 16050 (current number with latest EPL drive) are all R3 right hand turnouts. 1615, 1615N, and 16150 are all R3 electric left hand turnouts.

If Watts upgraded the manual R1 turnouts with EPL drives then a "changed" number is appropriate. A 1200 to 1205N for the right hand or 1210 to 1215N for left.

I've got at least six old unused LGB twin-coil drives myself. If anyone is interested in them send me a PM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts