G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,134 Posts
Interesting... normally people have trouble by not being able to supply enough voltage to make it work right. Reversing the motor would seem to make it easier on the motor, but if done because of lower voltage then you gain nothing.

I had one and found that you need darn near 20 volts to make it work right. I tried it on an MRC6200 and it would barely move on the track. Later under 24v DCC it worked perfectly.

I would fix my voltage as it wants that higher voltage to spin to clean effectively.

Greg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I’ve always used my Aristo 10amp and it seems to work for me. I don’t remember a time where i thought it was not performing,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it seems to work for me. If the FB crowd keeps yammering about performance, I will recommend they up their game on the old power pack setup.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I made my own rail polisher that spins an abrasive disk against the rails (~$0.50/disk and they don't seem to wear out). If I run it so that the wheel runs turns "against" the direction of travel, it gets much hotter, to the point of stalling the motor. If I run it so it goes with the direction of travel, I get less stalling over high spots, and it doesn't get as hot to the point of stalling the motor.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Agreed, it sure is noisy. Mine runs fine with a 10 amp Crest power supply and a Revolution trackside receiver.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well…
i have reversed the cleaning wheels.
i ran it this way for several years, (for the reason below.)

pros:
track through switches slightly better,
i think too, the cleaning wheels ‘bounce‘ slightly less.

significantly improved traction/operation better IF track is wet, slick, on grade. I have had the cleaning wheels actually stall the loco in these conditions. Actually, more of a back and forth mambo…😃

the cleaning wheels had traction equal to the metal loco wheels on the wet rails, combined with grade .
i had a sticky pine sap grade and frequent dew or sprinkler wetness.

cons:
the brass oxide seems to be directed into the cowl area more than when normal. It would seem too that the abrasive wheel /track movement must be lessened especially depending on the loco’s speed. Slowest loco speed providing the greastest abrasion

i have since returned to the normal direction.
i have no intention to return to reverse motor leads, as my layout conditions have changed.

suggestion…every year, dismantle and clean;regularly check the cleaning wheel axels for micro threads of nylon, which are sheared from the black plastic wheels. This seem to occur when they are new. They bind around the axel, next to the block, potentially adding load to the gears and motor. I remove them with a dental pick and/or tweezers/fingers.

never add weight to the floating cleaning section. Never.
i blow out the dust after every use. Do not inhale this stuff.

keep the cleaning gears lubed…
never leave it unattended while running in cleaning mode.

i too run at 24v., at the slowest speed via variable roof resister.
I swapped the bulbs to 24 v type, as i had, once upon a time, a bridgewerks throttle with a faulty potentiomete which occasionally had full voltage spikes that would blow the 5v originals. Not sure you need this.

the cleaning wheels have a very very long life.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I had one and sold it because I thought the wheels were too damn expensive! I would go though a set and a half for an open house and they are not cheap ($35 at the time). That's why I made my own with a box of 100 metal polishing wheels for $51.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Odd todd…lol,

ive been running my loco since about 1988.
run each time i operate, about 120 ft, 2-3 loops Around.
so thats, very roughly 10-12 years, allowing for time down/bad weather, work, etc.
on my second set of abrasive tires.

i cannot imagine the tires wearing so fast.

·
Super Modulator
22,134 Posts
I have seen the tires wear quickly and cannot explain it other than being used on really rough track.

I have seen that when/if the wheels get out of round, you need to true them up or it gets worse.

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts