G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured this was the best place for this.
Has anyone heard anything about LGB EPL track accessories and components being made or sold yet? Like 17100 contacts, switch machines, etc, etc. I'm talking about the new LGB under Marklin. I haven't seen any track at the dealers, other than what's left over in their inventories. And that's not much.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
LGB is making track, but does not yet have distribution (rights?) in North America. LGB0A has yet to get these rights for this year.
I can not drink enough beer to keep up with all the conjecture about this issue.

There are some equivalent parts out there, check with one of the forum sponsors Train-Li.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I would think you should be able to find them somewhere. Some guy's take there switch machines off and add ground throws.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The supply of EPL parts is drying up on dealers shelves. Marklin has announced that they will continue the EPL & MTS production. But by their own admission their future production of LGB products will be limited. Why they bought LGB only to sit on their hands has everyone baffled. Regards, Dennis.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Theres video floating on Youtube that shows part of a LGBoA public statement made at the National Convention, in it the speaker states that while Marklin has resumed track manufacturing, its at a level barely meeting demand in Europe, and that there will be NO imports of any kind to the US for all of 2008. Seams the only way to get any product into the US will be to order it direct in Europe from a dealer and pay to ship it here...kinda a die-hard only option if you ask me...Seams like my premonitions are coming true

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I've been buying up all of the LGB turnout motors and EPL dpdt attachments I can get my hands on and will pay up to $5 for used turnout motors.

I predict that these will become the new gold standard. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Considering the 3-way switch currently on EvilBay with an only option "buy it now" price of $275, you may be right, at least for a while. Sheesh, I only payed $90 for mine about 2 years ago. Everything the Ebay dealers are selling on there is going for above top dollar, higher even than the on-line stores... talk about rip-offs.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would suspect then, that you aren't amassing much of an inventory. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also use the machines for automated circuits. Alittle tough with ground throws. But the way things are going, we may be pushing our trains along the track.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree Dennis. I believe the hobby is still strong here. Strong enough to sell here.

By the way, in all of the talk about what may be under Marklin rule, What was the real reason that Lehmann folded. They had a loyal following throughout the world. I know there was some talk about not getting into the American prototype market soon enough to compete. Could it have been a family thing?

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Bargains can still be found, especially with used LGB track. Used to be $1.00 per foot, now is over $2 per used foot. This is much better than the high E-bay bids.

Still, there is the Aristocraft and USA brass track and new offering by Piko amongst others

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
You can still find 17100 track contacts, switch motors, and switches both used and new at good prices. You never know where you will find it either.
LAO

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know these items can be found on Ebay, but usually at inflated prices. Once in awhile everyone else seems to miss the one you are watching, and a bargain, or at least a fair price comes your way. However, all of the online suppliers are out, out, out of these items. At least the ones I have searched.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I can't find where I read this, so I may have been dreaming, but I recall an ad - or maybe it was a letter - from Dave Watts stating that he had stocked up on a large quantity of LGB track, accessories and parts. The ad/letter/dream further stated that he had negotiated to purchase parts directly from former suppliers to LGB.

Does anyone else recall seeing this?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
LGB of America posted news on their website as of 5/1 that they are not going to be the US distributer for Marklin. Also, they (LGB0A) will no longer be able to supply parts, but will continue to repair until the existing parts supply is gone. There is a rumor that Walthers is going to end up as the distributer for the US since they already distribute HO an N for Marklin.

This is not good news for LGBers in the US. It appears that we are being hung out to dry by Marklin.

Keith

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Madman, just don't depend on Ebay and the internet. I don't. I have found some great buys at a couple of the small LHS's within a 20 mile drive of my house.
LAO

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kieth,
That's not good news. What happens to LGB of America then, when their parts supply runs out. Do they simply dissapear?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
That is the question. They distribute Piko, Bridgewerks, etc. but is that a viable business for long? The rumor I heard is that they are gone.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
If what I'm reading is correct, LGBoA already is, or will soon be, gone, sort of....

They are now reorganizing the company as "Silvergate" and will as said above, be distributor for Piko, Bridgewerks, Hillmann Clamps, Massoth, and a few others, they are going to relocate from the Nancy Ridge address to another San Diego locale, at least thats my understanding based on the latest I've read on other fora.

Sounds like it will take another year to see what kind of company the end result of these changes produce. Being Pikos distributor in the post LGB vacuum may be the single largest thing that saves their bacon, afterall at least Piko is still importing to the US, not kissing off the whole US market like Marklin has for likely may be the next 2 years.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Then the next question would be, how will we, in the U.S., be able to but LGB trains. Non of the present retailers will have any inventory, save what is left in their present stock. Do we shop overseas mailorder houses?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts