G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Mike,
Pretty much scratch built on those units. Ozark now has a casting for the warning light. I have used them on quite a few S.P. locos. The lower headlight is the original casting. I use a razor saw to slice it off and reuse it. The gyra light housing is made from half round tubing with some flat plastic in between. I made it about six inches long and then just cutoff peices to length and add details. I use 5mm yelo glo leds for the lights.
We have kind of got off track from your F7 post. Is that ok with you or should we start another thread?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Mike,
What are the size of the number decals? If I have something that will work I will send you some.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I personaly dont mind it going off into a SP thread, far more important things in life than to get bent out of shape over that. But we could make another thread on SP diesel modeling. I think Ozark also has the single beam light as well. Mike

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
LGB actualy provides a thin tinfoil decal with a black back ground and the proper silver numbers, so you dont have to try and remove the old numbers from the shell, you just cover them up with the new road number.

·
Registered
756 Posts
ive got some too-a-b-b-a
which i love

i run a-b or a-b-a
the use of all 4 creates a very disconceritng out of phase sound which i dont care for

the units have the best delay and throttle response when using them as the full a-b-a set-i think the added motor load seems to make it perfect

and
the b unit WILL operate sound without the F unit being hooked-

i think the trick to avoiding derailments with the B, like ohter light LGB 50' box cars, is to start and stop slowly

i havent added wieght, and having seen what serious weight does to the drive gears, id be unlikely to do so

like the mod to the light
would consider doing the same to the class markers although the amber isnt bad

i figured out that this lighting board is identical to that used on the genesis, and which is why the red lights stay on on the genesis-they were orignally teh amber F-7 lights

when these were originally offered , they were an amazing value i think-
the new prices are....very high

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The front trucks rear cylinders wont fit in stock truck position or even in the position I have them in. You cant run the rear brake cylinders on R1 and I doubt on R2 track. Kind of reminds me of my old Athearn blue box F units in HO scale. I am working on a solution to that issue still. Kind of busy fixing lawn mowers right now, havent had much train time in the last few days. Mike

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
LGB Scale is larger than 1/29 but a good looking set of locomotives. I went with USA and did them "as delivered". Only changes made were to improve the headlight and add a top MARS light. Light weathering was done since at the time they were run through the wash rack at the end of a run. Paul Burch did a great job detailing his set.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Posted By Bob Pero on 05 Sep 2012 07:46 AM
LGB Scale is larger than 1/29 but a good looking set of locomotives. I went with USA and did them "as delivered". Only changes made were to improve the headlight and add a top MARS light. Light weathering was done since at the time they were run through the wash rack at the end of a run. Paul Burch did a great job detailing his set. from the dimensions given earlier, i calculated ~1:26 scale, but here are some more accurate numbers (prototype dimensions) if anyone wants to refine them a bit more.

Total Length 50'-08" (and 50'-00" for F7B)
Wheel Diameter 40"
Truck Wheel Base 9'-00"
Height to Top Engine Hood 14'-01.5"
Height to Top Cab 15'-00" (N/A for F7B)
Cab Width 10'-07" (N/A for F7B)
Engine Hood Width 9'-10"
Center Bolster 30'-00"
Center Front Truck to Front Pilot 2'-09.5" (and 2'-05.5" for F7B)
Center Rear Truck to Rear Pilot 2'-09.5" (and 2'-05.5" for F7B)
Distance between Truck Centers 39'-00"

cheers...gary

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Gary,
Check those truck center to pilot measurements. As modelers we need to remember that the prototype measures total length from coupler pulling face to coupler pulling face. That makes that measurement on our modelers difficult due to the variety and sizes between couplers from different manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Gary,
You have the center of the front truck at 2' 9.5" to front pilot. It would have to be a little more han 10'. Its 10' 8" from the center of the front truck to the coupler pulling face.
Paul

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Paul, I got lucky and bought my Geep lights from Miniatures by Eric when he was still making them. Unfortunately he is not making G-Scale products anymore. I did the same as you did except my Geeps are Black Widow. The red top light is a dummy, but the headlight is functional as is the ocsillating headlight above

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Bob,
I now have one black widow GP9. I picked road number 3611. It was the last S.P. GP9 to still wear black widow paint, all the way to late 1976, even though S.P. adapted the scarlet gray in the late fifties. It also has a plow which you don't see much in old black widow GP9 photos. It also has the square mars warning light instead of the roundish gyra light.
http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/g..._finan.jpg

·
Registered
235 Posts
Posted By aopagary on 06 Sep 2012 08:14 AM
from the dimensions given earlier, i calculated ~1:26 scale, but here are some more accurate numbers (prototype dimensions) if anyone wants to refine them a bit more.

Total Length 50'-08" (and 50'-00" for F7B)
Wheel Diameter 40"
Truck Wheel Base 9'-00"
Height to Top Engine Hood 14'-01.5"
Height to Top Cab 15'-00" (N/A for F7B)
Cab Width 10'-07" (N/A for F7B)
Engine Hood Width 9'-10"
Center Bolster 30'-00"
Center Front Truck to Front Pilot 2'-09.5" (and 2'-05.5" for F7B)
Center Rear Truck to Rear Pilot 2'-09.5" (and 2'-05.5" for F7B)
Distance between Truck Centers 39'-00"

cheers...gary

Posted By Paul Burch on 06 Sep 2012 12:07 PM
Gary,
You have the center of the front truck at 2' 9.5" to front pilot. It would have to be a little more han 10'. Its 10' 8" from the center of the front truck to the coupler pulling face.
Paul
i see what you mean about the dimensions in this table. unfortunately i just checked the first few which match another drawing i have.
the last 3-4 stats are definitely in error, though

Distance between Truck Centers 30'-00"
Center Front Truck to Front Pilot 9'-11" (5'-6" for F7B, both ends)
Center Rear Truck to Rear Pilot 8'-6"
Total Wheel Base 39'-00"

the stats for the cab dimensions on the A unit include clearance for the horns (height) and cab handrails (width).
i believe these were given for Southern F7's so that dimension might vary slightly for different roads.

thanks for pointing out those errors.
cheers...gary

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for the accuarte dimensions Gary, and nice pic of the prototype black widow unit. I need to look up the black Alco RS units and see what warning lights they wore. Anybody got an idea how much further back the front truck on the LGB unit needs to be for it to be correct. Just from comparison to HO scale models, comparing the rear brake cylinder to the ladder, it needs to be back towards the fuel tank just a bit more than I moved it. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Paul,

Looks like you put a fair amount of work into that pair of Geep’s… Very nice! I’m working on a GP9 low hood model, presently working out the louver dilemma. Later, time permitting I have a gaggle of Geep’s that require modification to SP equipment. I’m going to do several in B/W paint and more in Scarlet/Red.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike,

I looked online for some definitive info on actual scale dimensions, not much luck. I copied minimal info from and actual EMD F3 operating manual. Attached is a scaled drawing of an F3 for reference.

Michael

21 - 38 of 38 Posts