G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of some LGB expert advice.

I purchased an old second hand LGB 4073 gondola many years ago, and I recently took a good close look at it for a new project. What I found is the previous owner ravaged the underframe and then tried using small diameter wheels to lower the car. However, it was not a very good lowering job. The bolsters are hacked at, and the car wobbles horribly. If I turn the trucks it feels like they are going to fall right off. Unscrewing the trucks to see if I could repair the underframe revealed that the screw posts are gone. The trucks were literally hanging by a thread. There is no way this car would last long in service.

Trying to repair what has been cut away will not be easy, and may not even be possible since the screw posts are essentially gone. So the easiest option would be to replace the underframe. See the photo below:

As luck would have it, I have an old LGB 4067 boxcar that I'm using as an abandoned car. I think the underframes of the gondola and the 4067 boxcar are very similar. So it might be possible to use the 4067 underframe. However I could not confirm the underframes are identical or not based off of the the plans on this site: website link.

You would think I could easily check it out to see if the two underframes are compatible. Unfortunately the 4067 boxcar and the layout are in Colorado, while I'm in California (until I can get some vacation time from work this summer) along with the 4073 gondola and tools we use for painting. I'd like to repaint the entire gondola while I'm in California, but that's not going to be easy without an underframe.

I also don't even know if the 4067 underframe will fit or is even the right style. Moreover, if I ever want to reuse my old 4067, I'll be short one serviceable underframe.

2 Questions

1: Is the underframe I need a fairly universal piece, meaning the 4067 underframe would work?

2: Does anyone know where I might purchase a spare LGB underframe? An email to Silvergate Manufacturing has already been sent awaiting a reply, but I'm not too sure they can help with LGB rolling stock parts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just did a kwik flip and compare of a 4076 with a 4067, 4068, 4080 and 4074. The truss rod under frame looks to be the same part. The underframe from a 4X72X reefer that I'm repainting has no number on iteither. The non trussrod underframe on a 4090 boxcar also looks to be interchangeable with the trussrod version.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Matt,

Although you didn't include a picture of your frame to show the extent of damage and seeing some of your skills in building, I think you might be able to use a couple pieces of plastruct tubing fit inside each other and drilled to accept your truck screws. If epoxied in place and together the basic repair should take no more than an hour.As you work in other scales you have more than likely had to do this on older equipment before.

Than again you might just want to get the replacement as your not in any hurry.

Dave

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Matt,

Along Daves idea you can get bushings about 1/4 in in diameter by 1/4 inch long with a 1/8 inch hole in them.. Check out a good hardware supplier.. They are cheap & allow you to slip them in the trucks with out having to glue them.. I have used this on half a dozen cars & they work fine..

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Your timing may be good! I just received an email from Silvergate yesterday stating that they are selling and I believe manufacturing spare LGB parts.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Matt, it's best to use mechanical fasteners when working with the plastic that LGB used, since their plastic was something called 'Luran', which is quite hard to glue successfully. Good luck with your project!
SandyR

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great news.

Silvergate had the underframe part I needed. Purchased and being shipped

1 - 7 of 7 Posts