G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brian got my gears turning when he posted this:
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/8/postid/70674/view/topic/Default.aspx

This is the prototype I'll be using:

Basically, I think I'm going to use the body & the roof & make the rest myself. Out of the box, the LGB car looks like it rides a little high... anyone else concur, or is it just me?

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Burl,
They do seem a little high and they are wide. Just swapping out the cheesy LGB trucks with Aristo rollerbearing will lower it some. I think this is the type car that Aristo is supposed to be releasing maybe later this year,or next year,or the year after that,or?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Burl,

Yes the cars do ride too high. Here's a picture I just took to illustrate out of the box vs. after lowering. They also mount the brakewheel one rib too high on the end.

Have fun!

P.S. ......Burl has the coolest kitchen table I've ever seen!

Brian Briggs

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step one: adding my own bolsters. I also lowered the car by about 1/8" of an inch by trimming down the studs under the coupler pocket.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I lowered it the easy way, i installed USAT gunderson trucks which takes it down around 3/16 "

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I'm just waiting to earn my black head covering thingy so i can post my new photo. Keep in mind. I know one thing and know it well.. YES DEAR. Coming Dear. Right away Dear...

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I don't know about the 'He man woman haters club' but it takes a real man to have this as his dining table.

Burl, where did you find this treasure? I want one!
Sorry for HiJacking this thread

By the way......your patterns look awesome!

Brian Briggs
DT&I 1980ish

·
Registered
445 Posts
Holy Cow masked marvel !!!
Coool!
Looks real gooood.
Hay did you or Marty think of making halfway desent resin PLOWs for the loco's???
Just a thought.
Sean

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Burl,

Great job! And so fast.....did you sand off or remove the Railbox lettering prior to painting?

Brian Briggs
DT&I 1980ish

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the roof is easy to remove on the LGB Railbox? Any chance someone could measure the length and width of the roof for? I've been looking for that style (does that pattern have a name?) roof for a kitbash project for some time now!

Thanks!
PD

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The roof is 4 1/4" x 21 1/8". It mounts with 6 screws.

Very easy car to take apart.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts