G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been battery powered for a few years but recently picked up an LGB rack loco and am envisioning a small track powered run up a hill in a side yard. I have an LGB track cleaning loco from my pre battery days and was wondering if I could use that on the rack rail line, going downhill of course, or if the cleaning mechanism might interfere with the rack rail. Knowing how difficult or easy it will be to keep the track clean will help as I design the route. Any suggestion or hints?

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem with the LGB track cleaning locomotive as there is nothing between the wheels to contact the rack. A swifter or green scotchbrite pad would get caught on the rack.

I used the LGB rack loco and track for many years on my layout in Denver. It is a great system. Mine was a point to point segment of track with a reversing unit.

I also beveled the first and last piece of the rack. This made for a smoother transition from level track without the rack to the incline with the rack. I think the bevel was about 1.5" long.

Chuck

Here is a picture of my layout in Denver. The cog RR connected the two levels and you can see the red engine in the center.

Here is a picture of it in the snow. It was getting its power from the overhead wire.

·
Registered
756 Posts
well.............
i dont think the cleaning loco will likely be of much use, heres why:
even on modest inclines,the trains get very heavy and are likely to run away at turbo porsche speeds.
having experimneted a bit, i dont thing you will be able to push the cleaning loco up much a grade, and to do so will likely result in heavy wear to your cog loco; going downhill, perhaps using the cog as an anchor......the problem will be to synchronize running speeds.

i think your life might be simplest with an LGB track cleaning block, if you possibly can.
the cogs will interfere with norrmal hook an dloops, the bit that hangs down. i dont know if the cleaning loco will clear, but if not, no harm.

something i have realized is that grade is an important factor. While steep incline is fascinating and dramatic, the steeper, the fewer cars you can push. You will feel this if you simply push the cars by hand, its amazing how heavy they become as the grade increases. I cannot imagine how heavy a track cleaning loco would become. perhaps, you could remove the weight from the loco, as they seem to be very hefty. I thin you will find the locomotive , with even a slight incline, will slide.

also, if you can, try to avoid or minimize curve and grade-not only drag , but alson the twist factor, ie side to side levelness of the curved track.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
I think that it would be easy to sync the LGB track cleaning engine and the cog engine.

As I remember, there is a speed knob on the top of the track cleaning engine. This is because you run it at full power for maximum revolutions kon the cleaning wheels. The dial on the top is used to slow down the engine so that it doesn't run at max speed.

If you put the two engines on the track, not coupled, you should be able to adjust the speed so that they match.

Because of the grade and cogs you probable will not to run them at full speed. At slower speeds the grinder will work, but it may take more trips.

It was 22 years ago when I had the working cog RR. I don't remember a problem with the hook and loops, as long as the hooks were on both ends.

Chuck

Note added

The only problem is that the track cleaning engine runs at full speed, when in reverse. You will have to carry it back to the starting point. Try to keep your grade down. Too steep may wear out the gears. I didn't have any gear problems, but I know some with steeper track did. Sadly, I what my grade was or that of my friends.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies.

I dont plan to run the cog loco and the track cleaning loco at the same time. Instead, I planned to start the track cleaning loco at the top, run it to the bottom, then remove it. Then run the cog loco...pushing just one passenger car...up and back until it's track cleqning time again. If that will work, I can design the point to point line knowing that i wont have to be crawling along it cleaning one rail at a time. Regardless, there's still about a foot and a half of snow on the ground here in Flagstaff, Az so I have lots of time for planning.
thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Mike

I was passing through Flagstaff last Friday. There was a lot of snow on the ground.

If you get down to the valley in the next few months, send me a note. I have the Patio and Southwestern up and running.

Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts