G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I run MTS and have run up to 3 trains on the LGB 50111 power supply with no problems - appoximately 250' of brass track with a max grade of 2.5%.  Generally the trains are no more than 6 cars long, metal wheels and power to tender and caboose (cabeese?) using LGB ball bearing wheel sets instead of the stock, high friction power pick ups. 

I am in the process of installing the Decoder 3 in an original series Aristocraft Pacific and it is fairly easy.  The wiring diagram is fine and that decoder should handle 2 LGB motors since it is rated for 3 amps motor and 4 amps total.  The worst part of decoder installs is figuring out how the engine comes apart.  The exploded diagrams help but you still need to figure out the sequence.  A good resource for installing decoders is George Schreyer's Large Scale Page - http://www.girr.org/girr/index.html

Installing a 3rd party decoder to run with MTS is risky since MTS does not support the full DCC specifications.  Motor control would be fine, other features may or may not work as expected.  The Massoth decoders are fully compatible with both MTS and DCC so they are a good option, if you can find them.  One dealer I spoke with at ECLSTS on Friday was expressing frustrations with Massoth related to deliveries and pricing (dollar in free-fall compared to the euro).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.