G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
To All:

Please, could someone out there help?

Dan Pierce:

I am unable to comprehend your post. While I now thankfully live in Texas, I once lived in Manhattan where UP meant North to everyone and DOWN meant South to almost anyone and OVER meant either East or West - take your choice - as no one in Manhattan ever saw the sun rise or set. So give me some compassion here - what wires are outside and which are inside? And which ones go "from" and which ones go "to?" And do anyone of them have colors? And is there a right or left - depending, of course, on which view you are facing?

Let me say that I have Moguls with 3-wire cables attached to female connectors and Moguls with 6-wire cables attached to female connectors. So now, please tell me, how do I connect either of those cables to a 5-pin male connector on a 69232 sound tender to get sound? Please be assured that I mean no offense to you. I just need explicit instructions. This is a new hobby for me in my retirement years and am less than well informed.

BTW, blueregal, what is a Regal?

Many thanks,
Roger Bush
Fredericksburg TX

· Registered
55 Posts
Dan - Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. I think I may be able to manage the wiring arrangement now. If I run into trouble, perhaps you could help me via offline email.

Regards,

Roger Bush
Fredericksburg TX

· Registered
55 Posts
Well, I guess I am still in the dark. What I want to do is connect a mogul with a 3-wire, 6-pin female cable connector to a 5-pin male connector on a 69232 sound tender. I'm lost. Is this something which has already been explained and I missed it or is there still a missing clue that I need? The 69232 comes with 2 cables with 5-pin female connectors on both ends. Don't know how these have any use. Is there a 6-pin female connector to a 5-pin male connector adapter I don't know about?

Thanks,
Roger Bush
Fredericksburg TX

· Registered
55 Posts
I’m feeling a little stupid. Grow old too soon and smart too late perhaps. After all the questions I’ve asked, I’ve discovered none of my 2-4-0s have 5-wire connectors. Some have 2 – some have none. And then I realized only one of my moguls ( a 23181) has a 6-wire cable. All of the others have 3-wire cables. So there is no point trying to come up with a cable from the loco to the 69232 tender for any of my locos.

So why not just make the 69232 tender a free standing sound tender? It already has a dual reed sensor (aka LGB 65012 sound function trigger) on the front wheel set for what I assume is bell and whistle. Then one could install a LGB 3019 usually used for interior car lighting on the rear wheel set as Dan Pierce did:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/danpierce/69232wiring.JPG
and

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/danpierce/69232AxelPower.JPG

And then on the remaining axle on the rear wheel set install a Dallee chuff sensor either optical coupler (item #583) or a magnet/reed unit (item #584). Would that work? If that makes any kind of sense where would the leads for the chuff sensor go on Stan Cedarlealf’s sound board picture found in:

http://www.mylargescale.com/Communi...ge/1/view/topic/postid/1699/Default.aspx#2429

I assume the track power leads would go to the red and black wires to the left of the lazy V’s – is that right?

So then what remains is how would one connect the chuff sensor and take care of the rear light? BTW, Dan, where did you get a 24-volt bulb?

Thanks y’all,
Rog Bush

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.