G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mikado drive train crapped out .     /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif    There is a plastic female coupler that connects the second drive shaft to the first. The coupler just rotates on the metal shaft. Any ideas on what  to use for adhesive ? I was think my favorite JB weld 

Thank, Bryan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be too easy Mark !     /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif        I probably will, just wanted to try something for now.
Posted By markoles on 02/26/2008 6:31 AM
Bryan,

Give LGBoA a call and see what they recommend.  I don't think an adhesive of any kind will be a long term solution for torque transmission.   My LGB mikado had a star shaped coupling between the motor and the drive shaft that stripped out.  LGB replaced it no problem.  It just kind of stinks not having the loco for a few weeks.  Luckily, its winter. 

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I went ahead and tried some JB weld tonight. And put it all back together. Will give it a day to cure and try it out. It does not even have  a knurled end on the shaft to hold the coupler on just friction. So I figured JB Weld might work. Works great for other things under stress.

Posted By markoles on 02/26/2008 6:31 AM
Bryan,

Give LGBoA a call and see what they recommend.  I don't think an adhesive of any kind will be a long term solution for torque transmission.   My LGB mikado had a star shaped coupling between the motor and the drive shaft that stripped out.  LGB replaced it no problem.  It just kind of stinks not having the loco for a few weeks.  Luckily, its winter. 

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I've been playing with Diesels too long.For awhile when I heard the Whirring of the motor running free, I thought it was the fan motor running. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Buckso,

Could be, I bought it several yrs ago at St. Aubins. Have not run it very much at all. The JB weld seems to be holding for now . I will call for a new part soon, hope they have parts available !

Posted By Bucksco on 02/27/2008 1:59 PM
Could be one from the initial production run . If it were me I would contact the service depatment in San Diego. They'de be more than happy to take a look at it .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.