G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for a gas station that has an LGB train set that used to run through the store but it hasn't run in 10 years. I think the model of the engine is either 2018D or 3018D. It pulls 4 cars. We cleaned the track and it ran fine for a couple days. Now it will run when first started but it will start to squeal a bit and jerk and make noises like it is grinding on the track. I have no idea what could be wrong with it, maybe the motor or a lube job? Like I said, it sat for about 10 years so with the exception of the track being clean I have no idea of the history of this set, but I really want to get it going again because kids come into the store and look so bummed when they see the train just sitting there. A lot of their parents remember it running and I think it would be great for the ambiance of the store to get it going again. Any ideas would be great. Oh, and my boss made it perfectly clear that he is not putting another penny into the train so any cost will come out of my pocket or from the donation jar that I put on the counter at the store. So I wouldn't like to just start replacing things haphazardly.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
The loco will defiantly need a mechanical clean and lubrication.

The current lubrication has probably gone hard. I recently picked up some LGB locos which had been sitting around in storage for a similar amount of time, they did run right away, but a bit if TLC brought them right back to life.

I would suggest giving them a clean and lube, and see how it goes then, another thing you may wont to look at is the traction tyre (assuming it has one), it may be starting to perish and need to be replaced soon.

Good luck

Alan

·
Registered
322 Posts
I repaired such a train four years ago. It was an old LGB set and ran in a florists store window. Did the same thing and just stopped. I took the cover plate off where the gears are. It was just dirt, dust, and bits of paper. Used tweezers to pull out all the gunk. Most of the gunk was pretty hard and once removed and the gears reoiled the train ran good as new. I hope that is all that you are looking at. regards, Dennis.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I repair and have re-built LGB Locomotives that have run for endless hours in restaurants, day cares, etc.
These are some of the common problems, besides the lube.
1. Motor worn out. This can be tested be removing it and checking it on the bench with 12 volts. If she squeals or runs other than quietly, she's toast. Or hand spin the gear ends. feel for uneveness.
2. Axles have worn an oblong hole in the side of the motor blocks, causing erratic and herky jerky operation.
3. Electrical pick-up sliders (shoes) are worn completely out.
4. Brushes worn down to snubs. Back side of driver where brush makes contact needs to be cleaned and smoothed out.
5. Oblong holes worn in all the side rods.
6. And other wear problems mentioned.
7. And track. Yes they have complete worn the head off the rail off in some instances, especially in the turns.
Good luck finding replacement parts. Some dealers still have a few motors, brushes, traction tires and shoes in stock. I recently found a store with 4 motors and bought all of them for stock.

jb

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Train-Li has replacement motors, and some other parts.

USA sliders and hook/loop couplers.springs/pins fit LGB locos and cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Axel has no LGB parts listed.

Email Axel(Train-Li), he responds quickly. I think he is still working on listing his inventory on the new website, so he probably has what your are looking or can hunt it down for you.

Johnny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts