G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know LGB's American line has been al over the place scale wise but does anyone know if the Genesis loco is 1/29? And how accurate to scale is it?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I think its 1/26th scale but if you keep it with the amfleet cars it looks great to me. i have 2 of them and 14 amfleet cars and every time i look at them i get a chubby!!!!!!!!
sorry friday night i get a little to much grey goose vodka and well!!!!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grey goose? I'm outta everything so White Zif for me tonight. I was just wondering because it does look nice (the LGB, LOL). Now I gotta install my first QSI/G wire rig in a GP40. Tomorrow though when I am not guaranteed to screw it up!

Nate

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Posted By Truthman on 01/02/2009 8:14 PM
Grey goose? I'm outta everything so White Zif for me tonight. I was just wondering because it does look nice (the LGB, LOL). Now I gotta install my first QSI/G wire rig in a GP40. Tomorrow though when I am not guaranteed to screw it up!

Nate

Nate,
gp 40 is a very easy install of QSI just remember when you have the long hood off black tape all inside openings as it will give you better sound........
Nick

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
The LGB Genesis looks fine when running with other 1/29th scale trains. If you are looking for a modern passenger diesel it's pretty much the only game in town.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I have had folks run it here and personally I think its too tall unless run with its own cars. I have the measurements of the 1:1 loco that an engineer of that loco gave me because I was thinking of working on it and lowing it. But then the motor blocks would have to be changed and weight added to give it more tractive power.
I'd buy a used or damaged one at a good price just to work on it.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Those genesis locos are tall. They're nearly the height of the double-high coaches.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
OK Tom, you want to play that way.

heres a 1:1 photo i found way back.

This photo I think came from Stan the man for me.
I really was looking into it and wondering.
Keep in mind I lowered my D9s about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch

I wanted to take their model and thin down the chassie or raise the trucks up .
But I don't want to do that on a new one.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I think the Genesis looks fine. I look at those large scale trains in the above photo sitting on the incredibly oversized track in the goof scale of 1:29 - so to me - it's a moot point.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I agree spod, if LGB would have made their track to American 1:29th in the first place we would not have these chats.

wink wink

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 01/03/2009 9:36 PM
I agree spod, if LGB would have made their track to American 1:29th in the first place we would not have these chats.

wink wink

If the folk that gave us 1:29 had been able to do simple math there would be a whole lot less discussion!!!

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Hmm. I always THOUGHT they looked tall.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
1800?
Chuck ,woow you are older than I thought...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Possibly the makers of 1:29 modern US trains picked that scale so they would not look too small compared to the LGB 1:22.5 equipment when running together? They did not want the customers to think they were buying smaller trains than LGB was supplying. Just a thought.

Big John

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're right Big John, that's what is claimed to be the reason for 1:29. Aristocraft claims to have invented 1:29

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
They did not claim to invent it... The reasons was the woow factor over 1:32 and the 1:87th plans was esaier to up size.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I own 3. I like them. In the real world nothing is perfect, nothing is ever the exact size on the plans(at least not when I build it). 1/4 or a 3/8 inch more in height is not noticable to the adverage human eye from any distance beyond 6 feet which is where you would stand to take in the whole train. the details are nice, they are plug and play for DCC and have room for a 3" speaker if using QSI or some other sound board.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts