G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Just yesterday I received the latest LGB Depesche and LGB Club publications. The cover letter for the LGB Club magazine states, "This means that delivery of LGB products can be resumed again in North America, probably in January of 2009, and that LGB will thereby be represented in this market again on a regular basis. In addition, models based on American prototypes will be presented at the International Toy Fair in 2009 in Nurnberg."
I think I've read that Walthers will be the distributor but, as usual, can't completely trust my memory.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
My local dealer mentioned something about Walthers being the one. We never really know until it happens of course. But I am curious if you guys could tell me if this would be a good thing or not? (Walthers that is)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I see a lot of the "oh no, with Walthers the prices of Marklin/LGB will go way up".

Yes it definitely is true that Walthers lists items at full MSRP. And it is also true that they list a lot of items that never seem to be in stock. But don't forget, when a new product comes out you can find great bargains from many vendors...even on Walthers manufactured products. The trick is to know where to look, and to be quick about it. Otherwise yes the product will most likely go out of stock and you'll miss out.

As an example on a bargain, we ordered a new Walthers/Proto 2000 Santa Fe H10-44 loco for the HO layout. Walthers lists the fully loaded loco (Factory DCC/Sound) for $279.98. But we got ours through TrainWorld for an incredible price compared to the Walthers list price. I would not be surprised if they are sold out now at TrainWorld. Not only is Walthers a distributer of this loco, but actually the manufacturer.

Another example are the new HO Walthers Superliners and the latest Walthers/Athearn produced HO Amtrak P42 locomotives which are already out of stock and no longer even listed at Walthers. Pretty pricey if you go directly through Walthers. I got mine from Model Train Warehouse, again at a bargain compared to the Walthers price.

So I think it is safe to assume that new LGB/Marklin products, even if distributed through Walthers, will still be affordable through various sources.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Axel Tillmann on 12/20/2008 5:25 AM
The official word of yesterday:

Walthers takes also the distribution of LGB.

The positive is at least every local hobby shop can order things that will never be deliverd.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By Axel Tillmann on 12/20/2008 5:25 AM
The official word of yesterday:

Walthers takes also the distribution of LGB.

Odd.
How "official" is that?
The "announcement" to make it "official" is not supposed to come until "next veek".

Have something in print?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Not that I don't know who has it or not.
To say "official" without an "official" announcement is less than well, honest?

Some folks have known for some time how this was going to "play out", with the three "bidders" on the distribution.

Some of also know what the positive face will be applied.

Word of advice:

If it's "official", publish the document or link.
If it's not as such, just say you've "heard".

"Vait until next veek"

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I've also heard Walthers repeatedly, as being the inside contender for LGB distribution...also that Walthers has a "scorched earth" policy for any retailers that try to order product from other distributors around their "exclusive" distribution rights deals.

So as the spirit of the Amazing Criswell channels through my mind....I said it before, I'll say it again...

Criswell Predicts! LGB will become a Beautique brand of high priced, hard to obtain, imported in limited number toy trains, just like its parent company Marklin.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
But Criswell says he's only good to the year 2000--he's out of the warranty period.

I'm curious how this will work with Ebay, or direct internet purchases from Europe? Does the distribution deal stop that from happening? If not, Walthers will have to be somewhat realistic on pricing won't they?
I seem to remember LGB doing all sorts of tricks to try to stop Ebay and gray market importing, but can they really stop it? If they can, then I think Vic is right...prices will definitely climb.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
If prices rise and availability is poor... Who will care? This will only = LOWER SALES!

I am an LGB fan, don't get me wrong. But, after all the supply/service issues as of late. Most have found other and more reliable suppliers for their beloved hobby. I feel the supply and demand death grip has been loosened and LGB has lost allot of it's glitz and glamour. Evilbay has allot friendlier prices but this may also be due to the economy? Therefore, unless Marklin picks a distributor that can fairly and aggressivley market their product. LGB brand will continue to lose the reliable customer base it once had. Typical in today's corporate world eh?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I seem to remember LGB doing all sorts of tricks to try to stop Ebay and gray market importing,

Please give a few examples of LGB´s tricks. Fact or fiction? Never heard of this before. In the past LGB, or the European customers seemed to have subsidised the US prices for their material. It was much cheaper in the US than in Europe in most cases.

On the other side, the German Bachman and Aristo importers refuse to do warranty repairs for their products, which were imported directly.
That´s why Bachman / Aristi is much dearer in the shops in Germany than in the US. Or maybe they simply think, the local cows are fatter.

Have Fun

FRitz / Juergen

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By thekollector on 12/22/2008 9:01 AM
I'll take Axel's word for it. As a stocking LGB dealer he is well connected. Also he's not my only source.

Jack

Good one!

If you read it on the Internet, to heck with it being "official".

Please note (and I realize you need this pointed out to you):

I am not arguing the data is not factual.

However, until the "official announcement" is made, the term is "sources tell CNN, on condition of annonymity, that......"

Victor's commentary on "scorched earth" is something maybe someone who THINKS he will remain a "stocking dealer" should remember when releasing information to the public, under his name, before the official announcement.

Who knows?

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Fritz, the two that come to mind are the Ebay items being removed, and issues at customs, with shipments being monitored and held back.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts