G Scale Model Train Forum banner

LGB/Aster NGG13 Garratt

13K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  zubi 
#1 ·
OK, I know it's not a live steamer, but still a nice electric model from LGB/Aster
This is a model of a South African NGG13 Garratt which operates on the SchBB Switzerland 600mm gauge line.
I thought it may be good to compare it with the recently posted Accucraft live steam Garratt NGG16

Andrew

See less See more
#3 ·
Posted By nyccollector on 10 Jun 2013 08:11 PM
Truly a beautiful looking Garratt steam locomotive and the maroon color scheme is outstanding!

Wish I had the money to owned one!

I have noticed the asking price has gone up over the past few years.
Grootspoor have one for about $5,500 and I saw another for only slightly less.
What they ask and what they get are two different things though.
I also saw an LGB/Aster Württemberg Tssd Mallet in England for $10,000. No way Jose!

Andrew

#4 ·
I have purchased this same model (LGB/Aster NGG13 Garratt) from grootspoor.com ( a Scandinavian country?) about 4 weeks ago thru Train-Line-USA. Alex Tillman place the order for me with them.

He hopes to receive the engine, of which he will check out before delivery to me, some time next week. It's supposed to be in mint condition, only a shelf queen.

What power system/ control are you using to run this engine?

Thank you

Bart Zuccala
Murrysville, PA

#5 · (Edited)
I only run it on few occasions with analogue track power.
Grootspoor are on a canal in the Netherlands. I have dealt with them directly and will not be doing it again.
I once paid for items they could not supply and the money was never offered back, instead substitute items were selected without any communication with me. Strike one, history!
I am sure you will be impressed with the sound of the Garratt.
Just ask to make sure the locomotive is packed well at the buffer beams to avoid it shunting in the wooden box.
Shipping companies tend to drop heavier long boxes on their ends many times as it travels the globe.

Andrew

#6 ·
Andrew, thank you for the response. Analogue track power ( meaning AC or DC?). I have a DC power supply.

Are all of the functions available using your power supply; smoke, sound, lights, fire box glow.

I think to hear the passenger announcements you need the LGB Central Station system.

Bart

#7 ·
Bart, it is DC. I haven't run it for a while but fairly certain everything you mentioned functions and I think you are correct regarding the extra sounds. I remember reading something like that. It will need a reasonable size power supply because of the 2 motors.

Andrew

#9 ·
Garratt, received my engine about two weeks ago. Finally had enough nerve to run it today ( looks brand new, just a shelf queen) but had a few questions first.

As you face the tender in the rear on the side closest to you there is a red screw embedded in the corner. The manual shows a counter clockwise adjustment, i think, but the manual doesn't tell what function, if any does it support???

Also what is the brand of the DC power supply that you used??? I have a MRC Power G transformer.

Thank you
Bart Zuccala

#8 ·
Good news.

I was informed yesterday by Joann and Axel Tillman ( Train-Line-USA) that my Aster Garratt arrived at their location on Saturday. Alex even went to work on Sunday to test the engines and was informed that it worked "like a charm" It's being shipped to me today.

I also had a DCC decoder and sound system installed by them in MY Accucraft K-28.

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment from buying from them again!

They are very customer oriented.

Bart

#10 · (Edited)
Bart, my garratt is stored at the moment. I was hoping I could help without opening the wooden box so I checked the manual. The sound volume adjustment is on the tender. I believe this is the screw you are inquiring about.

Page 19 / Operation / Sound.

Sound
This model features a digital electronic
sound system. The volume control is located
on the rear of the coal bunker (Fig. 2). Use
a small screw driver to adjust the volume.
All sound features described below also
can be controlled directly with the LGB
Multi-Train System

http://www.onlytrains.com/manuals/20922.pdf

I have some Lehman 1 amp power packs for testing on a short track and also an Aristo 10 amp.
It runs on the 1 amp but would be very under powered if it had to do any work.

Andrew

#11 ·
Bart, my garratt is stored at the moment. I was hoping I could help without opening the wooden box so I checked the manual. The sound volume adjustment is on the tender. I believe this is the screw you are inquiring about.

Page 19 / Operation / Sound.

Sound
This model features a digital electronic
sound system. The volume control is located
on the rear of the coal bunker (Fig. 2). Use
a small screw driver to adjust the volume.
All sound features described below also
can be controlled directly with the LGB
Multi-Train System

http://www.onlytrains.com/manuals/20922.pdf

I have some Lehman 1 amp power packs for testing on a short track and also an Aristo 10 amp.
It runs on the 1 amp but would be very under powered if it had to do any work.

Andrew
Andrew, thank you for your quick response. If I would have read the manual thoroughly It would have answered my question.

I am going to test run on rollers in the next couple of days; have a friend that want to see it in operation.

On a side note, I also picked up a LGB/Aster White Pass and Yukon (Cab# 73) Narrow Gauge Steam engine at a very decent price. That will help with the inflated price of the Garratt (lol).

I read about some of the problems associated with it being a weak puller (on this forum) but I'm not that concerned at this time.

Oh, and one nit pick of a complaint; the roof vents on the Garratt don't open; they should for the price!

Thank you

Bart

#12 ·
The manual say only fill the smoke unit half full but there is no way of knowing what half full is.

I added 20 drops of fluid but no smoke. The manual say if the smoke unit is overfilled then the smoke unit will not work.

I turned the engine over and dumpled the fluid. I waited 24 hours and added 7 drops of fluid and the smoke unit functioned properly.

I have very little experience with the suethe smoke units since all of my O gauge engines smoke units are of the fan drived type and require about 20 drops to get started.

#14 ·
OK, I know it's not a live steamer, but still a nice electric model from LGB/Aster
This is a model of a South African NGG13 Garratt which operates on the SchBB Switzerland 600mm gauge line.
I thought it may be good to compare it with the recently posted Accucraft live steam Garratt NGG16

Andrew

Andrew, would you mind if I share your pictures on the O Gauge forum?

They have a "buy anything cool lately" post. I could not take better pictures!

Thank you
Bart

#21 ·
Terry, the question is where is the one (stolen) that belongs to me... Zubi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.