G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,245 Posts
Some USA Trains is 1:24, the nicer stuff is 1:29
Piko is supposedly 1:29 in some cases, but there is some 1:32, and some goofy scaled stuff.

LGB is all over the map, mostly closer to 1:26

Piko quality ok, but not LGB level, hard to compare to USAT

No one makes the wide variety of USA diesel models that USAT does, so it depends more on what you want to model, USA or European, Steam or Diesel or Electric.

Overall quality ok, but not bulletproof like LGB.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,245 Posts
I agree from the 0 foot level to 30k foot and beyond...

The American series is 1:24 also, and I agree consistent, but the OP will probably be going 1:29 if he is going diesel US prototype.

The USAT "Ultimate" series is higher quality, higher detail, very nice.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,245 Posts
Sorry, perhaps it was not clear why I commented on 1:29:

I stated earlier, hoping to get an answer:

No one makes the wide variety of USA diesel models that USAT does, so it depends more on what you want to model, USA or European, Steam or Diesel or Electric

So, if he was asking about scale and quality, AND he has been collecting USA diesels, then most likely he will be 1:29 since most all of these models and the rolling stock that go with them are from USAT, all 1:29.

Further advice on what goes well with what would really benefit from what the OP has collected and what he prefers.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,245 Posts
Well. I believe his question is NOT what you say it is.

I have been collecting for many years and wanted to know if Piko was same scale as LGB and USA trains. What do people think of Piko quality compared to other two brands?

He asked for a comparision. Trying to put a timeline on when something breaks is subject to a huge number of variable.

A history lesson IS relevant, all we have to go on is past experiences.

We already answered the simple question:

post #2 (first reply): "Piko quality ok, but not LGB level, hard to compare to USAT "
post #3, answered his question about scale and running together.

Can't get better than that... perhaps you should get off your horse and re-read the ENTIRE thread, starting at the beginning.

What do you want as an answer? 42?

You do sound rude.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts