G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made a wiring diagram for the LGB 65011 Capacitor unit that was made for its sound systems ? What size capacitors, regulator[?], or other components does it contain?

Thanks,

Jim C.

·
Super Modulator
21,245 Posts
I figured you might have looked at the values on the caps when that piece fell out! You should be able to see the values on the caps... I would assume they are all in parallel..

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Jim - the devices under the shrink wrap are likely to be super caps. LGB has used them on some of their sounds cards for a few years.

The devices are capacitors that can store an impressive amount of power. Their capacity is measured in FARADS, not microfarads. The ones I use are 10 F (Farads) @ 2.3 volts. As you can imagine, 2.3 volts isn't enough to power a sound card so a number (four or five) of super caps are wired in series to give sufficient voltage.

Here is a photo of an LGB sound card that uses super caps.

The down side is that they are fairly expensive. Digikey sells them for about $4.00 each in single quantities. If you look carefully at the photo above you will see that LGB originally had planned to install 5 caps but decided to save a buck and bypass one on this unit.

Hope that helps!

dave

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
There was a diagram posted on the G-mad forum.
I tried to access my space here but i have not done the upgrade yet.

I will e-mail you the diagram.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan, Dave, and Greg,
Thanks for the quick responses. The email from Dan arrived and has been printed. I think I will try to find the parts and make a replacement for my 65003 sound box.

Jim C.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dan,
Thanks for posting the diagram.

Greg,
I have ordered 8 - caps and 2 - regulators for my equipment.

Dave,

I considered your suggestion with 5- caps and a 12v regulator. I decided against it since sometimes, at slow operating speeds, the voltage does not reach 12v. None the less, I appreciate the suggestion and will keep it in mind for other applications.

JimC.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
to All,

I put the 65011 replacement together today. Using four 10F-2.7v CAPS, a 9V. regulator from Digi-Key, and a three wire plug I got from the LHS, the unit was assembled and tested with a LGB-65003 diesel sound system. After running the first time for less than a minute, the standing sounds lasted 24sec. after shutdown. After the standings sounds stopped, the unit was restarted. As a result of the added CAP unit, the sounds began much sooner [voltage] and the two toots horn sounded as well.

After the unit was all assembled, it was completely covered with electrical tape to avoid any future possible shorts. Shrink tubing would have been better if available.

I am very pleased. Total cost was less than $20.oo. Special thanks to GregE. and DanP. who gave me the wiring diagram and a lead on where to get the parts.

JimC.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dan,
You have email.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
Thanks Jim. This sure beats both the cost and unavailability of the LGB unit.

Also, this can be used for sound units, hooking up for the Dallee looks to be very easy.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Jim - I am curious about the temperature on the tab of the voltage regulator when you first run the unit. The ones I have built get quite hot as the capacitors can draw several amps when completely discharged. I had to add a heat sink to mine to make sure the regulator didn't overheat and destroy itself. That was with two 10 F / 2 volt super caps & a 7805 regulator.

thanks!

dave

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave,
I didn't bother to check the temperature of the transformer tab. The OEM LGB units don't have a heat sink so I didn't suppose that mine would need one either.
I handled it a lot and didn't burn my fingers so it must not be too bad. When I build my second CAP unit, I will check the temp, just out of curiosity. The unit pictured is buried deep in the bottom of a GP30 gas tank.

JimC.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know this is an old thread. I have one of the LGB units and it looks like in the circuit board with the 2 capacitors there looks to be some more components. I think I see a zener diode? Does anyone know what else is on the OEM board?

Also the LGB unit gets pretty warm upon first charge after sitting. I installed the unit in the Mikado that I just purchased that I tore down and cleaned completely. I double stick taped it on the weight closest to the engineer to make sure the regulator wouldn't touch and melt anything.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 28 Oct 2008 08:23 PM
I figured you might have looked at the values on the caps when that piece fell out! You should be able to see the values on the caps... I would assume they are all in parallel.. no great shakes here!

Regards, Greg Bad assumption that could lead to explosion! Most likely they are using super caps each with a low voltage rating (like I do) and series wiring is necessary to get the voltage in range.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts