G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
369 Posts
I want to verify that if I change CV195 to 4, there should be no sound until the car moves, correct? Because the chuff sensor isn't working, it still is reacting to track voltage.
On the LGB 65001 American Stream Sound Module, CV195=0 provides the electronic chuff. CV195 settings 1 - 4 are for using a pulse generator. It's been a year since I fiddled with the settings, so I don't remember what's the difference between the various 1 to 4 settngs..........so just try 4 and then try 1 to see the difference......probably 2 v. 4 chuffs/wheels revolution. If you're running analog on your locomotive, remember to also drop down the setting for CV193 Start Threshold Analog.....for LGB Moguls I changed to Default 128 setting to 1.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've tried CV 195 for 0 thru 4. Nothing turns off the electronic chuff. or activates the chuff sensor. I am getting the confirmation chirp from the sound unit whenever I program the CVs.

· Premium Member
369 Posts
I've tried CV 195 for 0 thru 4. Nothing turns off the electronic chuff. or activates the chuff sensor. I am getting the confirmation chirp from the sound unit whenever I program the CVs.
Maybe your unit is damaged or defective. If you have the purchase receipt and it's within two years, the Marklin two year warranty would cover a replacement. You should talk with the LGB Dealer you purchased it from.

I will adjust the module's CVs for a fee if the hobbyist doesn't have access to a DCC System or a Massoth PC Programming Module.

· Premium Member
369 Posts
I like the LGB 55045 computer module as it reads 0-255 from the decoder and then shows the rev of the board and all the other info. And the CV list can be saved and printed.
I must admit, the LGB Sound Modules are sometimes finicky, as are sometimes other decoders. I've had an LGB Sound Module on my Massoth PC Programmer and can't get the CV setting to change. I've then tried Massoth DiMax POM programming. If that doesn't work, then will try again either the DiMax or PC Programming Track and it works. Dan or Greg can confirm this, but all these decoder programming methods output different voltage to the decoder. So sometimes the POM zap will dislodge the stuck CV setting so it will then work with the PC Programmer or DiMax Programming Track. Welcome to the idiosyncrasies of DCC decoders!

· Super Modulator
22,733 Posts
Actually most service mode programmers use low current and low voltage. There are "programming boosters", but again not controlled. Some systems have control over the voltage and current for service mode programming, that's one of the reasons Dan and i have Zimo.

POM programming response is way different, the brand of command station makes no difference, if the decoder responds to anything in "normal" DCC mode, then either POM works or not with that decoder.

There are some other service mode tweaks, like disconnecting power immediately after the programming command is given. Many European systems do this, but none of the US-based ones to my knowledge (thus giving rise to rumors about european systems being better in this regard)

Greg

21 - 34 of 34 Posts