G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys! I've been looking at sound decoders recently, and I found this on Ebay:

It comes with the external sound volume control module, and it's the one I've been looking for , as I like the fact that the sound control module can be placed anywhere in the tender.
So, here are my questions :
I've read that the main module can be taken apart ,and that it can be mounted in the tender just like a normal sound board and speaker can.
Are there any real advantages to doing this?
Also, would I be better off,if I mount it this way, to buy either a larger TCS, or Soundtraxx, large scale speaker for better sound quality,or is the speaker included with the unit just as good as those others are?
Thanks guys!
Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
I would use a better dpeaker and 'baffle' the speaker to enhance the low notes. I have placed/glued small cups with foam inside over many speakers and the results are amazing.

·
Registered
468 Posts
i like the simpleness of the LGB 6500 series, you can trigger the bell and whistle via reed switches or RC triggers. But in my case the LGB speaker failed and i had to add a 3" 8 ohm speaker . but with a larger baffled speaker i bet it would sound much better.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definitely be implementing the baffle idea. I'm going to be disassembling the #65001, and mounting it in the tender as I'm replacing the factory speaker with a Massoth 57mm 2 Watt 8 Ohm speaker . The fellow who recommended this speaker says that it fits perfectly in the tender of the mogul, and is a definite improvement over the speaker supplied by the factory.
I already bought and installed a LGB sound trigger in the rear truck of the tender several months ago.
I just finally decided to buy the #65001 module since it has the external volume control knob/module instead of the internal, fixed knob that comes on most other examples of this unit.
Now, if I can only figure out how to get sound in my HLW Inyo 4-4-0...

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Note that some manufactrers state the full audio power is for a 4 ohm speaker. If the specs are listed then use the lowest ohm speaker specified for max audio output, otherwise just replace with one equal to the failed unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have only done this with Bachmann tenders. I ad a second 8 ohm speaker and drop the ohms from 8 to 4 and get almost twice the volume. None of the units have failed and I have 3 like that now. The only draw back is the 9 volt battery doesn’t last as long but I run rechargeable batteries anyway.

·
Super Modulator
20,854 Posts
One piece of information on sound cards: normally distortion increases with a 4 ohm speaker vs. and 8 ohm. So if the 8 ohm speaker is "loud enough" I stick with them. This is just typical amplifier design.

Not as true with more modern class D amplifiers.

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
One piece of information on sound cards: normally distortion increases with a 4 ohm speaker vs. and 8 ohm. So if the 8 ohm speaker is "loud enough" I stick with them. This is just typical amplifier design.

Not as true with more modern class D amplifiers.

Greg
I agree with what you are saying. The Bachmann factory sound in their vintage tenders is silly at best. I have never heard any distortion due to dropping the ohms. This however is Bachman and the volume of their tenders that do not come with a volume knob isn’t loud enough for my taste. I drill tiny holes in the coal load and you can’t see them. Then stick magnet to magnet one speaker shoots downward the other shoots upward. I have three tenders like this all with working LED functional backup lights via a switch. I run rechargeable batteries and have never had an issue. Once again this only applies to the cheap Bachmann steam chuff vintage tenders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts