G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the old Mylargescale.com, there was some discussion about the pros and cons of two and three axel versions of these switchers. It may not have been in this catagory however. Some members voiced negative opinions about the three axel version. Something to do with side rod wear. Does anyone remember any posts about these locos? I searched the archives and came to the realization that I'd be sitting here for too long. So I gave up and decided to go the lazy mans route and ask you guys.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I have the 2 axle SVR German made version and love it. Strong and reliable. I do believe the new 3 axle Chinese versions have been problematic. I think Bob Grosh reported these problems.
Good Luck, Alan

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
3 axle versions do not pull as wel and surge at low speeds in curves. I have two of the 3 axle versions and one of the two axle ones. Did break the siderods on the three axle versions but got spares from lgboa.
get the two axle versions if at all posible.

·
Registered
767 Posts
well i know i waxed eloquent about my SVR 2 axel version-perhaps you could search my name in the archived posts-under product reviews

these are smooth, quiet, powerful and great little....diesels (so i have one rather multiples-i understnad however that some of the US items may be discontinued by maarkin -so if you want one get it now-)

stack could be retro fitted with smoke unit

doesnt stall on my lgb turnouts

lights are nice-cab light can be toned down from nuclear white to yelllow with some appropraite paint-ie tamaya yellow orange or as i used, red 9for soemthing different)

detail is great-shades over cab windows are retractable, cab doors are sprung and open-very robust model-great for lots of handling and useage-to my eye surprisingly accurate in most details-other than scale

scale..id bet these are 1:20-they are large and much closer to a bachman shay in scale-still really wonderful

these look great with full size lgb cars, disconnects, etc. -or the bachman mine cars,

frankly like a forney, i think these are something of a sleeper in terms of value, reliability and utility-not unlie the stainz of the us offerings
comes with knuckles and hooks and loops

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
I have the 2 axle version and it used to stall on switches. The problem is the traction tire is on the wheel farthest from the slider. I just flipped the axles end to end and now my traction tire is near the slider.

DO NOT ROTATE THE AXLES!!!! gear will not align/mesh, flip end to end!!!!!

G

·
I have one (2 axle) that I just finished with RCS and Battery....
I LOVE IT! wish I could afford a fleet of them!
No Stalling for me! :)
cale

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I received my #50 Rio Grande switcher today. Nice looking loco. Feels heavier than the Stainz. As someone mentioned, it's scale looks to be larger than 1:22.5, though I think that replacing the engineer with a larger one will give the impression of a smaller loco.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran my #50 today. Very smooth and strong runner. I did investigats the possiblity of replacing the engineer, but haven't figured out how the present man is held in place.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I did it. I fired the engineer that thought his job was for life, and hired an old timer. Thanks to Allterain, I am able to post these videos of my #50 switcher. I decided to run it cab forward. I rearranged the controls in the cab and gave it a smoke unit. Now I am contemplating making it a boxcab. I'll just have to look for another Catapillar loco in need of repairs, so I can salvage the cab.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cool videos. I'm not sure what the exact scale is, but LGB has always ignored scale/gauge in favor of proportions. I have a D&RGW #50 as well and it is a great runner. It looks pretty close to 1.20.3 when it pulls my AMS stock. It does stall on switches, so I'll try swapping the axles.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I have run the LGB #50 Diesel Switcher for years with no problems. I also have a smaller yellow two axel LGB diesel switcher that has been run quite a lot at the local botanic garden with no problems. The new LGB SF (Black) 3 axel diesel switcher has been running about a month or so at the park and last week the side rod broke in half. Don't know if we can get a new siderod with LGBoA new policy of not selling parts. Maybe if we send in the old siderod, they will send back a new one?

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would give it a try Ron. You have nothing to loose but a broken rod.

I've herard of the same problems from other members with the 0-6-0 switchers. Appearently the center set of wheels are driven by the side rod.

With that arrangement of powering the center drivers, it would seem that too much stress is being placed on the rod at that point.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Josef - may over here bleeve that it is as near the UK garden railway scale of 16mm to the foot - 1/19th, as to not make any difference. For sure it looks right at home on the layouts I've seen that ARE in this scale.

tac

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you don't like the three axle version, remove the dummy center axle/wheel. All of these types, two and three axle have the exact same gearbox. Take yours apart and you will see the hole in each side for the third axle.
jb

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I have a battery R/C # 50 D&RGW fitted with Phoenix P5 + P5T sound.

It is super smooth.

Being battery powered there is no stalling on turnouts

G

·
Posted By TonyWalsham on 06/09/2008 3:25 AM
I have a battery R/C # 50 D&RGW fitted with Phoenix P5 + P5T sound.
It is super smooth.
Being battery powered there is no stalling on turnouts

Tony I am getting great results with mine as well...What a great runner! RCS average run time with Dallee and lighting is about 3.5 hours with 14.4v NiMh supplied by Dave!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Well, my #50 arrived from Ridge Road Station, it is certainly built to a larger scale that 1:22.5, more like 1:20, it looks great hauling an AMS 1:20.3 D&RGW Caboose #0501. Very happy Customer.:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Posted By Rookwood Central on 06/21/2008 1:28 AM
Well, my #50 arrived from Ridge Road Station, it is certainly built to a larger scale that 1:22.5, more like 1:20, it looks great hauling an AMS 1:20.3 D&RGW Caboose #0501. Very happy Customer.:)" border=0>

Somewhere in between.
It's slightly smaller than Accucraft's version.
jb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts