G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is a duplicate-forgive me I am not too good with computers! I need to know how to get the old track wipers out of me 0-4-0 #50. There appears to be some small metal retainers holding them in and I can't figure out how to get them out so I can replace them!

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
You wll need to remove the motor cover plate on the underside of the loco. I believe there should be four screws. Once you have it off, the track wipers or shoes can be lifted out easily.

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
RE: LGB #50, D&RGW

Instead of wires, LGB used metal rods on the motor cases to get power from the wheels to the sliders and o to the connector to the electronics/wiring above.

These rods may be pulled out if necessary for service and then re-installed.

Many engines had the small brass/copper plate going into the spring area of the slider and had to be removed to get the sliders out.

This is part number 82in the 20630 diagram.

If you had included a real e-mail address in your profile I could have sent you this document already.

E-mail me at [email protected] and I can do this later today.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Tom are you talking about the springs that keep the sliders on the rail or the springs that keep the carbon brushes against the back of the driving wheels?

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
RE: LGB #50, D&RGW

Sliders with springs, and brushes with springs can still be found.

63218 is a pair of replacement sliders with springs. If these can not be found then USA sliders will work but some switches/turnouts do not like them.

63120 is a set of 4 14mm and 4 16mm brushes for the wheel pickups. 2120 is the old number.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Get in touch with Watts Train Shop. They have the standard pick-up shoes and springs for later production LGB locos. The replacement shoes and springs are manufactured by Massoth and the new part number is 8313104. Four shoes with springs cost me $13.95 and were well worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts