G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a LGB 25194 mogal with factory installed decoder with sound. The engine run on DC and DCC very well the problem is there is no sound and I can't change any of the CV's. The DCC system I'm using is MRC prodigy express I have tried with sound switch off the sound on. Program on Program track and Program on main line and get nothing. I'm unable to change any cv. I have tries to read them I do get a read out but it's not right I know this becuse I checked cv1 and it told me cv 1 was set to 001 and the engine run on channel 3. All I really want to do is set cv 55 to 55 to see if sound comes back.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
First thing to try is to verify the speed steps. Try addressing the engine in each of the 3 speed steps, LGB default on older engines was 14 speed steps. The original LGB decoder in that engine will do at least 14 and 28 speed steps, 128 was dependent on revision level which is in CV 7. Sound unit runs on the red cable/SUSI bus, it is NOT direct DCC wired. I have always program LGB decoders with every thing activated via the rear switch (all the way to the right, highest number, but turn off all functions to reduce current draw from programmer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply however at this time my dcc controller decided not to work any more.
It is a MRR Prodigy advance and when I turn it in the fan runs and both pilot and link lights blink off and on. I even removed track power and same thing. It is an old system I'm looking to replace it. I don't run multiple trains just one at a time on a over head rail I like DCC because the trains run slower and smoothly. Been looking in to the digitrax ZEPHYR DCS 52 just 2.5 amps but think it will do the job I need to do. I like that it has USB port so I can program with my laptop.
When I get a new system I will try what you suggested
Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Thanks for the reply however at this time my dcc controller decided not to work any more.
It is a MRR Prodigy advance and when I turn it in the fan runs and both pilot and link lights blink off and on. I even removed track power and same thing. It is an old system I'm looking to replace it. I don't run multiple trains just one at a time on a over head rail I like DCC because the trains run slower and smoothly. Been looking in to the digitrax ZEPHYR DCS 52 just 2.5 amps but think it will do the job I need to do. I like that it has USB port so I can program with my laptop.
Thanks
David
David - Your LGB locomotive was produced by the former LGB company in 2003 - 2005 timeframe and has an Onboard decoder sound system..........the speaker is in the tender connected by the cable from the Mogul. The electronics were made by Massoth. Some DCC system brands don't work well with programming Massoth type DCC decoders.....they don't produce enough voltage. Since you're DCC system has failed, you should ensure whichever DCC replacement system has enough power to properly operate and program all DCC decoders. Some hobbyists are using DCC systems designed for small scales that only produce around 14 volts DCC to the track..........LGB locomotives need 18 - 22 volts DCC.

I'm a ESU, LGB, Marklin, Soundtraxx and Massoth seller, LGB locomotive Authorized Service Center, and also install any of the DCC decoders I sell into customers' LGB locomotives. For example, super wireless DCC system you should consider is the ESU CabControl Digital System which I sell for $400.

If you were getting the locomotive to operate in DCC but had no sound, you should confirm that the cable and plug from the Mogul to the tender is not defective, or that the tender's socket is not defective. This cable transmits the sound to the speaker in the tender, the power to the tender's rear light, and also carries track power from the tender's power pickup wheels to the Mogul. Identify which of the two pins on the Mogul's s-pin cable connector transmit the sound to the tender and then with the Mogul powered up on a test track with the on/off switch in the lights/power on position but no motor, connect another speaker to those speaker pins to see if you're getting any sound or not. At least that can help you isolate whether it's a defective Mogul - Tender Cable/Plug/Socket issue, or whether it's the Onboard decoder not producing the sounds.

If the Onboard decoder is defective, you'll need to replace it with a decoder such as Massoth XLS DCC sound decoder, either the version with the screw terminals or the Onboard version with the sockets, depending on your Onboard decoder's configuration.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
My Zimo system outputs 24 volts running trains but defaults to 14 volts for programming decoders. All the LGB decoders (55020 both types, 55021, 55027 on board old LGB, newewst Marklin) program with no issues with the Zimo MX10/32FU. Biggest difference is the current my system can output. To program any decoder, all functions must be off to keep programing current at the lowest load level.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Thanks
David
The option you can use to program Pre-Marklin produced LGB locomotives (2005 and before) and Marklin-produced LGB locomotives from 2006 - 2013 which have the Massoth electronics in them, is to buy a Massoth PC Programming Module (I sell them for $165) which you can program both LGB MTS/DCC decoders, Massoth DCC decoders, and also download and install sound files onto Massoth DCC sound decoders.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David - Your LGB locomotive was produced by the former LGB company in 2003 - 2005 timeframe and has an Onboard decoder sound system..........the speaker is in the tender connected by the cable from the Mogul. The electronics were made by Massoth. Some DCC system brands don't work well with programming Massoth type DCC decoders.....they don't produce enough voltage. Since you're DCC system has failed, you should ensure whichever DCC replacement system has enough power to properly operate and program all DCC decoders. Some hobbyists are using DCC systems designed for small scales that only produce around 14 volts DCC to the track..........LGB locomotives need 18 - 22 volts DCC.

I'm a ESU, LGB, Marklin, Soundtraxx and Massoth seller, LGB locomotive Authorized Service Center, and also install any of the DCC decoders I sell into customers' LGB locomotives. For example, super wireless DCC system you should consider is the ESU CabControl Digital System which I sell for $400.

If you were getting the locomotive to operate in DCC but had no sound, you should confirm that the cable and plug from the Mogul to the tender is not defective, or that the tender's socket is not defective. This cable transmits the sound to the speaker in the tender, the power to the tender's rear light, and also carries track power from the tender's power pickup wheels to the Mogul. Identify which of the two pins on the Mogul's s-pin cable connector transmit the sound to the tender and then with the Mogul powered up on a test track with the on/off switch in the lights/power on position but no motor, connect another speaker to those speaker pins to see if you're getting any sound or not. At least that can help you isolate whether it's a defective Mogul - Tender Cable/Plug/Socket issue, or whether it's the Onboard decoder not producing the sounds.

If the Onboard decoder is defective, you'll need to replace it with a decoder such as Massoth XLS DCC sound decoder, either the version with the screw terminals or the Onboard version with the sockets, depending on your Onboard decoder's configuration.
Thanks for the information I looked into the ESU cab control and really like what I have seen. I have also ordered the cable replacement ends I kind of think that's what the problem is. But I do need a new dcc system and going to do a little more research on the ESU system.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
There are systems that can program any decoder from any manufacturer, and both my Zimo MX1 (over 15 years old) and my MX10 are 2 units that can do this. Others have found 3rd party apps that can do this also. No need to get special programming units for chaqnging cv's. However if one favors one manufacturer for decoders, the computer programmer is great for loading special sound files and even Zimo has that feature as well as Massoth, esu, and others.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank for the information I have decided to go with the ESC cab controller everything thing I have read is good and it will fit my needs. Only thing negative I have seen is you need both hands to operate it well at my age if I don't hold something with both hands it will end up on the floor anyways. I like that it's wireless because my railroad is over head I can control the trains from what ever room I am in.
Will let you know how it goes with changing the cv on my lgb mogal.
David

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased a ESU Cab control Easy system to set up and use. I am able to change cv setting but for cv 55 all I get is programming failed. I ordered a new cable that goes from the tender to the decoder if that doesn't fix the problem I will order a new decoder.
If anyone know which cv is for sound volume setting please let me know.
Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
I only know what Zimo decoders do for remote volume and the user defines the volume max (CV 395) and the sound up/down function key in cv's 396/397. Jiro installs ESU decoders and he is on facebook and would know more specifics.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Back to the original issue no sound, the speaker for LGB moguls is in the tender and the sound unit is in the engine. The 6 pin/wire cable has 2 pins for track power, 2 pins for the rear light, and 2 pins for the speaker. These wires do break and could be the cause of no sound.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe a silly question. I don't have one of these moguls but do know that on almost if not all LGB DCC loco decoders there is also a separate sound function key that will turn sound on or off in addition to the "running sounds" function key. Have you checked this?

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Being an original LGB electronics then no sound in DC mode would not be a function key issue. The wires are pairs and a meter or aaa battery can make the speaker click. Speaker wire is on the engineer side of the connector, middle 2 are rear light.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I give up now! I ordered a new cable that goes from the tender to the decoder and installed it set the engine on the track moved the engine back and forth worked fine. Plugged the tender and got a red light telling me a short. So I unplugged the 2 light plugs and left the speaker plugged in and no short but still no sound. I then uninstalled the new wire harness and put the old one back in and no short but still no sound.
Tom at old dominion trains has it on his schedule to replace the decoder with a ESU decoder.
David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts