G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2219s LGB Pennsylvania mogul that recently stopped making the chugging sound when running. The only sounds that work are the hissing and bell/whistle sound that it makes when running over a magnet. I thought replacing the 9v battery in the tender would fix it, but that method didn’t work.
Would really appreciate any solutions or troubleshooting methods. Thank you!
Train Plant Wheel Rolling stock Vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
The chuff sensor is on the rear axle of the engine. 3 wires go from the engine to the tender for the sound board. One of these wires has a bad connection usually in the 6 pin connector that plugs in to the tender. Looking from the rear of the engine/tender, the 3 wires on the right of the connector are the power, return , and chuff signal. wires on the left are 2 for track power and one for rear light on the coal tender.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It could also be the board. I've seen a few that were behaving exactly as you describe and the issue ended up being the board. Rule out the connector as they mentioned above (you can cut 1/4" off the connector and re-seat the pins on the fresh bit of wire - the wire tends to break internally from being pulled on so many times). Once you rule out the connector, the next most likely culprits are either the chuff sensor or the board.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2219s LGB Pennsylvania mogul that recently stopped making the chugging sound when running. The only sounds that work are the hissing and bell/whistle sound that it makes when running over a magnet. I thought replacing the 9v battery in the tender would fix it, but that method didn’t work.
Would really appreciate any solutions or troubleshooting methods. Thank you! View attachment 63567
Wondering if you were able to identify what the non-chuff sounds issue is on your Mogul?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts