G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Got a bit of a problem, I started my first outdoor train layout, well to be honest my first layout all together.... My problem came about after laying my first level of 6x6x8 to get a nice level area to work with. It all started out nice, then after looking at my level string I saw it go deeper and deeper into the ground....my area is not what you call level...by no means... so I guess my question is should I keep digging and keep the level going, or.....or... what?????

Also if you let me know how to post pictures I will show you.....

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Your lucky its not totally level, some grade is OK. and you can dig out some areas for cuts and creat cool rolling hills. Just buy you a battery powered shovel and go for it.

I had a hard time finding photos as examples. Heres a very old copy of a photo of Nebraska City Jct.
I dug out 16" to creat a maintance of way sidings and used the dirt for other fill areas. We only move dirt ONCE..

Gives distance to a small area.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
From the dream-land store of America. Just outside of Heaven.

And we all start out like this, asking, why am I in the hobby?

This is the Highline 08.
Best way to dig is find someone else to do it.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Posted By Gscaletrainnut101 on 03/17/2009 7:14 PM
nice pictures, how do you post them?

Posting pictures is a simple process. It does require an internet hosting site, like Photobucket, in which to place your pictures though. I think My Space will work too.

Once the picture is uploaded from your computer to the hosting site, you need to put a URL identified pathname on here directing this website back to the repositiory (Photobucket or My Space) and the picture. sounds complicated, but it's really not. just roll over an uploaded picture and a pulldown menu will appear. Right click on the IMG code and copy it. Then insert it where you want a picture in your post.

Also, when you are building the post, the picture will not show right off. At first, just the URL path will show. After it's posted, the photo will show even when you're editing an existing post.

Step One: Create an account with Photobucket or another picture hosting site.

Step Two: upload the desired picture into your account (or album).

Step three: Copy the URL pathname (the IMG Code) from your (for example) Photobucket album .

Step four: Insert the URL pathname in your post.

Step Five: Submit the post and you will see the picture.

Simple, really. Otherwise people like me wouldn't be able to do it.

Try this link. It leads to my album on Photobucket. You can see what a hosting site looks like. If you like it, there's a place to join the 'bucket:

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
One more thing, more to the OP really, you don't need to be absolutely level front to back (gradient), just side to side. If you have to dig on (for instance) the left side, put the dirt on the right side to raise it. This will level your track much faster and is exactly what the real thing does.

Don't waste that valuable grade material!

Now, as to gradient (slope front to back), you do want to keep this as gentle as possible. It isn't desirable to be forced into running double headers (two engines) for every consist. I mean, it's showy and all, just not efficient. There are several excellent books on Garden Railroading and also, of course, the magazine by the same name, who can be of considerable assistance in this area. The best resource though is the local club.

Lastly, there are considerable examples of spectacular layouts that have been done in tight areas just like yours. You may have to use the shorter cars and all, but not everyone wants to do mainline stuff. Most of the G gauge equipment offered is narrow-gauge anyway.

It really is a blow to the hobby that LGB went under. They honestly were the quality standard that everyone else had to keep up with. It's sad really, but there you have it.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
nice pictures, how do you post them?

Guys, not meaning any offence, but everyone asks this question. There's a quartet of Forums called "WebSite and Forum Help"
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/afgroup/3/Default.aspx. In the Forum Bugs and Testing you will usually find someone trying their photo posting. Dwight (Moderator) keeps a close eye and will help if needed. (Those forums keep the discussion on the other forums to the topic in hand.)
And take a look - there's a thread running right now: http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/26/postid/25232/view/topic/Default.aspx

There's also a FAQ section on the Resources Menu, but the photo-posting FAQ got lost in the site redesign last year. I'll bring it to Dwight's attention.

Stude - I admire your method of posting pics. I didn't realise that Photobucket puts the IMG in square brackets for you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Stude, that was very helpful. I will try to post some pictures on this Topic.
Being new to the site, I saw the beginner area (this one) and posted my questions here. Now that I know I'll get scolded I will try to post in the right area from now on.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
Now that I know I'll get scolded I will try to post in the right area from now on.

Hey, I said "no offence" intended. The guys here will answer any questions, including railroads, life, the universe and everything. Even questions on posting pics.

I was just trying to save you waiting for someone to type the info already in the 'Posting Photos' thread... sorry if it seemed a little short.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Gnut:

I'm glad you posted that question, I was getting ready to--so I printed 'em off too!
(O happy days...)
I lit 'em in blue with the mouse, the drop-down said 'PRINT' so I clicked it, and got two pages of prior posts in addition to the one I wanted.

That's why I don't mess around: I get errors nobody ever heard of. That's also why I don't post pixes, but now I'm going to try.

Pete's a good guy, like all of us, what's in our heads sometimes doesn't show up on the screen.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Les on 03/18/2009 2:24 PM
Gnut:

Pete's a good guy, like all of us, what's in our heads sometimes doesn't show up on the screen.

For me, it is sometimes a VERY good thing that what is in my head doesn't show on the screen!
... (I can never find the appropriate 'smelly'!)

·
Registered
258 Posts
The best device I ever invested in when I built my layout was a laser level.
As far as your track work;
Shoot the length of the layout. Find the medium. Dig where you need to go lower and use the dirt to fill where you need to go higher.

You will need several metal stakes, some string and your laser.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I just use GPS system...... NOT. simple 4ft level.
Atless your out doing something on your RR. We need more folks doing than just talking about doing.
I had some photos someplace that showed how i steped the grade. but I just can't find them.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
there is a book out, has been for oh... ten or fifteen years, I think the title is, "Garden Railroading with LGB," or something to that effect. They handle this exact situation beautifully (level track and gradient). There's lots of pictures to droo... um... ah, study too.
My son loved the book. He was always running up to me with the book and shouting, "Dad, Dad, I wanna do this with the trains." It was usually something that was way too expensive or totally impractical for where we lived, but hey? Who could complain about such enthusiasm?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pete, I guess I jumped the gun, I'm sorry.
As soon as I get home I will up load some badly taken pictures of (as my wife has named it) My mess. Like I said my layout will be 40 ft long and 12 ft wide. On one side of the layout will be a 10 ft long 12ft wide covered shelter, where I will put my yard and train storage once its all done. That's as far as I have gotten.

Thanks All

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
You're not jumping the gun at all. Actually, I think you've picked just the right time to pick the experts brains. After all, a mistake avoided is time saved and frustration avoided.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
Gnut:

Well, thanks for sticking up for me, and Gnut - good of you to stick around. We do mean well.

For me, it is sometimes a VERY good thing that what is in my head doesn't show on the screen!
... (I can never find the appropriate 'smelly'!)

Yeah - where's that 'exploding' one when you need it?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Just tellin' it the way it is, Pete. And, I believes that was Semp that wrote about the emoticon.

Les

1 - 20 of 90 Posts