G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
When making tunnel openings and exits how do you reverse the numbers or letters./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/satisfied.gif
Toad

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Toad - I am not exactly sure if this is what you want but I wrote an article some time ago about using a laser printer (black only) to make color signs - this involved printing in reverse on the back of acetate.

You can do those tricks with Word - also, some printer drivers have an option to print in "mirror"

Have a look at this article and see if it helps.

Color Signs with a Monochrome Laser
Printer!

dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe a better explanation or a picture of what you are asking would be better, If you are printing them on a printer Dave is right, it is an excellent article, if on a hard surface like a mould then you might try getting some cake numbers or something similar, clean them up and press them into your mould material reversed.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Reverse lettering or numbering into concreet. Like openings to tunnels/bridges have them "stamped" look.
Sorry Bill & Dave I was fully sleeping while writing that up/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif, it had just came to mind "how to do it?"

Thanks Toad

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I think Ole Toad means cast-in letters
I dont know if you can get them pre-made but perhaps using foam letters? or soft wood like Balsa that can be glued to the form and then leave the lettering cast into the portal.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Get Pattern Maker's Letters and Numbers from a Pattern Maker Supply Company. They are made of brass and are reversed or normal. Used in molds for casting operations.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
You can get individual letters and numbers at Michaels craft Stores but they are a little to big. You can then "flip" them over and glue them on your mold master before you cast it, but then again they are a little to big. There has to be somewhere you can buy smaller ones and when you find it please let us all know where it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for tryn I have been looking on a search engine....so I will just wrap this one up /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif
Toad

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
ask somebody who fabricates tombstones for the letters you need.

Those are rub-on letters, You've been wathging too many cartoons

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
You know I thought ya'll was pros, guess not. I seen some lay outs with the year in the top of the tunnel but guess he is not on this board...../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Posted By SlateCreek on 08/06/2008 6:18 PM
Anyone got an old "Lite Brite?"

That idea might work! :)

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Toad,

Like I said above, find a pattern maker supply house near you or online and glue some RAISED REVERSE letters to a piece of plywood as your base mold. Add any other detail that you want in the tunnel portal and pour some concrete over it. Marty Cozas, on this board, did just that. It works great! He would know that type of concrete to use, Shouldn't be a big deal. I'll see if I can find some places online for you. Texas, correct? Good luck.:D

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Gary,
I do google!:confused: I at one time was very good but not sure what happened to my thought to find keywords I needed. I had at once every one asking me to google for them and now it is like I am crap googling now????/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

Great site you found! I like the ieda of going to the printers. That would really work!

Just been a really bad day here! As for where I am at Rosharon, Texas, near Houston.
Thank you,
Toad

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Posted By Torby on 08/07/2008 6:40 AM

ask somebody who fabricates tombstones for the letters you need.

Those are rub-on letters, You've been wathging too many cartoons

nope. i just happen to live in a country, where tombstones are still made the traditional way.
either chiseled, or with in-set bronze letters.

rub-on letters.... tssss, tssss, tssss.....

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I was thinking of portable holes like in Roger Rabbit.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Toad
I have a laser machine that can cut out of acrylic whatever size and out of most any font, I could make a real simple jig as to glue the letters to the jig ang hold them together while in the cement, it is a real easy fix.
Dennis

1 - 20 of 22 Posts