G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok. Don't try to do this at home!

I usually paint and 'stress' all my building material BEFORE I start building with it but I thought it might be easier to do it while it was on the side of the building. It isn't! I will be darn sure to do all my siding while it's on the bench - one length at a time.

Anyway, You can see that I (a) painted all the wood that would be exposed using a deep rust paint. Just something I had around the house. Note that the window and door frames stand out from the walls much farther than they should because the siding will use up that space. Then I (b) brushed on the finished colour. In this case I wanted a whitewash finish much like a stock yard fence or the bottom 1/2 of a stock car. I used an inexpressive antique white craft paint from the local Dollar Store. Then, when it was really dry I sanded off a bit of the white (c) leaving a weathered colour to show through. Can't see it too well here but....

For the siding I'll spray every length brown, let dry, paint with white, sand and apply it one board at a time. The roof will be tin but I'll get to that down the road.

Dave

Attachments

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The front of the building is pretty much finished. there are a few details to add when it gets sitting in place but for now it has the 'weathered' look I'm after.

The place will be named after our friend Len Cook who is retiring from the meat department down at our local market.

Attachments

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've worked my way around to the back door.. I had no idea what it looked like in the HO model but I figured a covered stairs would look good. No corrugated steal roof yet but these cut up signs will give you an idea what it might look like. I tried to create a large, faded sign on the end. Not to sure that worked. I'll look at it for a while and see if it stays. There should be a light over the back door and that will look good in a darkened corner of the room.

Attachments

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 01/31/2009 6:15 PM
I think the sign on the side of the building looks great, except I cannot figure out what it was supposed to, at one time, have read.

Long ugly story. That's why I want to look at it some more.

It started out as LEN'S of course but it 'weathered' all wrong so I did it again and painted over the whole thing and when I sanded off the 'N' I got down to most of the old 'S' so I sanded it all some more but it didn't work. So now I either leave it alone or do it again. Anyway, Now it says nothing actually.
Unless LES is looking in.

I'm figuring that the roof drains and eves will take car of it. They will be applied about 5 boards down from the top edge. Then again, if it doesn't it will be too late to start again.

Anyway, it will be ok when it's done.
Dave

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 01/31/2009 8:09 PM
I thought maybe the rest of the sign might be for the predecessor company... "Les Seeif Eye Care" or "Les Ismore Assay Office"

Outstanding!

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ok! I have that silly old sign fixed. At least as good as it's going to get. Also have a light over the back door. Now trying to work the interior lights before the roof goes on. Then 'glass' in the windows. Or the other way around.

Attachments

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The siding is done on the back now and the window 'glass' is in place. I checked out the light at the bottom of the stairs. Also finished the tin roof on the stairs.

The next - and last - job is finishing the roof. I have to redesign the vents they used in HO a little because I want a smaller feature up there. We'll see what I can come up with.

Attachments

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Posted By smcgill on 02/05/2009 10:10 AM

What a nice crappy building!!
Looks good Dave.
Can't wait to see it on the layout!

Thanks. The truth, is there are people who can do a beautiful job on a beautiful building and there are people who can't. I can't. So a whole lot of my buildings are pretty warn out looking. It eliminates the need for rules and fine sand paper.

I decided to go with a different roof too. The tin roof is a bit overpowering in G scale. I think plywood covered with tar and gravel, well aged to a gray colour, will fit in there nicely. Next week though. Too much stuff to do down at the local museum during the non-tourist season.

· Premium Member
5,578 Posts
I have always figured that is why so many people model old logging RRs... they model something that looked sloppy originally and that makes their sloppy modeling look like they did it on purpose. Either way, your building is superb!!!

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 02/05/2009 11:25 AM
I have always figured that is why so many people model old logging RRs... they model something that looked sloppy originally and that makes their sloppy modeling look like they did it on purpose. Either way, your building is superb!!!

I've been found out!

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The loading dock is finished except for detailing. The roofing material has been painted and sits on my work bench.

Those cows still have to jump 7 feet up to the IN door but they're in no rush I'm sure. That will change when there is enough 'fill' in the pens to bring it up to the height of the door. That's for later.

The lighting is done - front, rear and interior - but I need a floor in this building to keep from illuminating the track (that's not supposed to be there) down below. Next days off I guess.

Attachments

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well, the rumour, amongst cows anyway, is that it's not a great place to be. But I expect to have it fixed up pretty nice soon enough.

And do you know how hard it is to find sides of beef in G scale? I tried dismembering a regular Walmart cow and it didn't work. Even painted pink.

The hind legs just stuck out the bottom like they always do. Weird!

So when the IN door is finally accesable I'm going to be into the modelling clay.

Dave

· Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well, that's it for now. The steps for the back door are being built and sometime this week I'll get to the job of blending the whole thing into the grassy scenery back there.

In the meantime, nothing more on the building itself. I'm quite happy with the way it turned out and it fits there in the weeds and doesn't 'crowd' the town.

Dave

· Premium Member
914 Posts
That looks so cool, thanks for sharing! As for the sides of beef.... as I was reading it, I thought of maybe "melting" the legs with a small butane torch or something? And bending them up to the hanging position? just a thought....

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.