G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got this odd corner with a siding too short to be worthwhile and it's been bothering me for years. The space is also cut in 1/2 by the tracks heading down to the lower level and under Colder to come out at Grande Prairie. What to do with that issue?

This is the siding corner. The track originally ended at the 'canyon' but it only held one car. A temporary ramp and a temporary bridge added enough track to make it useful but it was still naked.

Another view from the business side. I really wanted to keep that open prairie look. Hard enough in the confined space but I felt I could do as much with a new building there as not.

]
The plan is to have a small stock yard in the triangular area between the tracks and a meat processing business served by the extended siding. The building would cover the 'canyon'. Yes. The trains would now mover under the bulding but I can overlook the visual burp.

I have an HO scale plan of sorts so I'll shift things around a little and let you know how that works out.
Should be fun

Dave

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the 'kit' I'm going to rebuild in G scale....

I think if I size it selectively and move a few features around it will look pretty good over in the corner. I want it big enough to be authentic but not to big to dominate the landscape like a 'big city' building might.

We'll see how it looks in cardboard first.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted By smcgill on 12/09/2008 7:04 PM
Marty His name is Dave Winter hence Winter project!
JeZZZ!!

It is that!

Also, a "Winter" project for me is any project that starts after my wife takes down the Christmas decorations and before she starts cleaning out the green house. That's about 6 to 8 weeks. It can be done.

Dave

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I have to check out the size and shape of this thing. Always a good idea because I did this already once and found it was much better after I chopped off about 4 inches on each end. It had looked pretty good on paper.

Now I can see that the front loading dock addition has to be larger (wider) because there's no room to move in there and it's visually dwarfed by the main building. As a visually interesting feature it should at least be seen.
Course the roof will be more interesting and I can see that I want to keep it snuggled into the trees back there.

This is the side that visitors will see the most but I had no pictures of that view. It had to be at least a bit interesting so I'll install a fire escape and overhead light. Once again, the rather 'busy' roof will add interest.

Now I have to move construction out into the garage where I can produce some sawdust and some noise. I also have to order windows and doors for this building. Not going to build my own any more if there are suitable products available on the market. Just way to much work and I'm not good enough at it. No patience.
In doors I'll be planting the pilings that support the building - and get it high enough to allow a train to slip underneath

Something again later....

Dave

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on the edge of ordering some Grant Line windows and doors.

Has anyone had any experience with these items? The actual size, in inches, of the following would be a big help in the final planning phase...

53930 tall window

53932 short window

53959 small window

53935 door

53934 door

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Dave, if you go to the Grandt Line site, they give you the dimesions in inches. I have used most of the windows in question. I wish there were more designs, especially geared toward 1:20.3. Also large enginehouse windows.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

So, now that Christmas is over I can get back down here in the basement and tackle my Len's Meats project.

I could have bought some windows 'off the shelf' but all the ones I've seen were far to new looking for my needs.  Even the ones that were intended to look old - looked new.  These are pretty rough and ready but when painted and weathered they will blend into the overall scene just the way they should.  
They'll get a coat of dark brown that will dry well before I paint them white.  Then I will sand off a little white and let the weathered look come through.  Should be fine..... 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Dave, those windows look great! And I especially like the double freight room door. Whose are they? Or where'd ya get 'em?

Judging by your photo, your work area is about as messy as mine. But I know where everything I need is and can find it in a flash--something DW doesn't quite understand when she buys me yet another plastic storage bin from Lowe's. I love those bins, but how can ya find anything ya need when it's stored away?

Of course then there are guys like Bob "Door Hollow Short Line" Baxter, who are so neat they make the rest of us look like slobs. :)

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The subtle difference between a good mess and a bad mess is something only a real modeller can understand. Mine remains on the very edge of a bad mess.

Still, those windows and doors are made of balsa and coffee stir sticks from the local sticky-bun shop. I couldn't find any factory made ones that were as beat up as I wanted. Working on the covered fire escape now. Something I added after viewing the cardboard building for a week or two.

Dave

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Tell DW to buy you a Brother's P-Touch labeler. When I had my 0n30 crew over, I labeled all my storage cabinet drawers so they could find things easier.

The labeler is also great for small signs on buildings and freight sheds as the labels are laminated. I have made station signs, no trespassing signs, no smoking, etc. It even has an option to outline the signs, included a rugged looking wooden one.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
David
I may have said this before, but everytime I see you build something I think to myself, but that is cheating, its in doors.
But man I need to get up and see your RR sometime.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Posted By NTCGRR on 01/12/2009 5:48 PM
David
I may have said this before, but everytime I see you build something I think to myself, but that is cheating, its in doors.
But man I need to get up and see your RR sometime.

Your right. It really is cheating - and it's so much fun they're thinking of making it illegal.
Still, to keep the faith I just dismantled my outdoor Christmas layout in the front and cleaned away some snow from my little circle of track in the back..

Oh! My place is always open and there's 'something' cold in the fridge.

Dave

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Posted By smcgill on 01/13/2009 2:54 PM
I bet there's something outside cold!!

Today your +34F outside and I'm at +4C. I'll race you to the pool.

I finished work at 10 this morning and spent that last four hours, indoors, nailing/gluing the walls of Len's place together - and getting them straight. Now a coat of brown primer on the corners and I should be able to start applying the siding. I really hate that job but it's good therapy and looks great when it's done.

Dave

1 - 20 of 43 Posts