G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
If it was Lemurian, it would be covered in vines and moss;)

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Brian,

Between the O.W. Link museum, directly across the tracks from that new museum, to the VA Transportation museum 5 blocks west, Roanoke is becoming quite the museum town.  I am kind of glad I don't have to look at that building every day.  It is diagonally across the tracks from where my old office was when I worked for NS!  Maybe its one of those things you have to see in person to appreciate.  

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
The proportions in that shot seem wrong to me. Tiny little locomotives that are closer than the seem. Two sets of people walking on teh sidewalk. One a set of "little people" and the other a giant. The road seems wrong too?

Is this a CGI rendering gone wrong?

Chas

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Sweet!

Thats a nice design! I wonder what the interiors will look like!:cool:

This must be the entry, still under construction, looks like they're just beginning to apply the metal cladding. the Archichokes are LA based.

Be nice to visit if I ever get that far east some day

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Brian;

I doubt that any self-respecting Lemurian would be caught dead or alive in that travesty, but I did chuckle at your suggestion.  I live in Roanoke, and attend the monthly meetings of the Roanoke Chapter, National Railway Historical Society across the tracks at the O. Winston Link Museum.  The Link Museum is housed in the former N&W Roanoke passenger station, which was remodeled by Raymond Lowey, who at least had good taste.

While I do my fair share of whimisical modelling, at least I do not force it constantly upon the public's eyes.  After our Feb. NRHS Chapter meeting, I remarked to another chapter member that the building made it look like the original Battlestar Galactica had crash-landed into Roanoke.  He laughed and agreed.  (It's a good thing that Starbuck, a Viper pilot on the original show, got into the coffee business some time ago, and missed this crash-landing.)

Well, I'll get off my soapbox now.  I just think that art museums should be stately and elegant, instead looking like our local, uh, structure.

Yours,
David Meashey

P.S.  I just looked at the photo again.  It appears that somebody did some very creative photoshopping with the trains.  The Conrail diesels did not seem out of place, because I was used to seeing them in Roanoke, although the sightings are fewer as they come due for a repaint to NS.  BUT look at the train on the right.  It looks to me like a British Railways passenger train from the middle 1980's!  I DON'T THINK SO!  It would have to have taken a bit of a swim to get it across "The Pond," a.k.a. the Atlantic Ocean.   Oh well, nice try photoshop person.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts