G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I continually learn something new about this hobby. In my recent copy of Popular XXXX there was a very small strip at the bottom of one page. It stated there are those that collect and restore very old Track Maintenance Machinery. And several times a year gather and connect all of their equipment into a 'work train' and set out on a journey. The lead vehicle tacks on 8K miles/year so I am assuming there are many of these excursions each year.
Sorry it gave no info as to how to find about where or when they took place, just the fact that they do. Would be great to see that stuff in action again. ThankYou

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Nick,
There's an active group of "speeder" owners [which are technically track maintenance vehicles] who get together a borrow a bit of railroad. They run them in convoy along various idle/dead branch lines.
http://www.railspeeders.com/excursions.asp

I found this out when I saw photos of such an excursion over the D&RGW using narrow gauge speeders.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Check U tube there are several vids of them putting along in large groups.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pete, thank you for the link, i see way down at the bottom there is going to be one right here in S Jersey on 27 November. That I'll have to check out,
Totalwrecker, I'll look for that also, thank you.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Ah, another expensive hobby I'd love to get into. But I guess the cost of a speeder, the equipment to transport it, the fuel and hotel bills would buy a lot of G gauge track.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Homo Habilis, thank you for sharing.
Randy, not only the initial expense of the piece, now you need to store it and transport it to the nearest crossing.
Still does look like fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts