G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to the world of large scale. I have worked on N scale and HO. I am looking for some ideas for a garden layout. I like to watch trains run and am not into yards and such. I enjoy the challenge of building bridges and would like to have a water feature. Any and all ideas would be of great help. I have a rough scetch of the area drawn with a paint program. Thank You Paul /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I don't know where you are located (helps to fill in your pertinent info), but you are welcome to come over to the T&LBRR and "borrow" all the ideas you want. We are in Orange County, CA. Follow the link to our web site for some ideas.

Welcome to the hobby/forum and Enjoy.

BTW, we are doing open house next Saturday (7/19/08) and all are invited. e-mail for address directions.

Todd

http://tortoiseandlizardbash.com/

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I would suggest taking an afternoon and perusing the multitude of posts in these forums. Especially the 'Beginners' and 'Track, trestles and roadbeds' sections. Many of the people who post who have active layouts have lots of pictures posted. Also try to visit some of the personal websites listed in the posts. There is a wealth of information here I have found invaluable. Check around your area for a garden railway club. I highly encourage folks to join and support local clubs. It is a great social time, a time to share about "If I'd only..." and a great way to see other layouts. Keep an eye out for shows you can get to. We just went to the HAGRS show in KC. Very much worth the trip and I recommend it for anyone who can travel to the midwest.

If you haven't already, subscribe to Garden Railways magazine. This is a very niche hobby. The only way it will grow and survive is for the hobbyists to support it. It is by subscribing to magazines, supporting vendors by buying their products, supporting forums like MLS, etc.

So, after all the yada-yada-yada is out of the way, welcome to the hobby and to MLS. No question is dumb except the ones that don't get asked. Garden railroading is probably the most diverse of all types of model railroads. Also, keep in mind there are two basic types of garden railroads. There are gardens with railroads, and there are model railroads that are outside. The choices will overwhelm you. For every question that you ask, you will get at least seven ways to do it. In 99.99% of the cases, none are wrong. You just have to pick what is right for your application and desires.

I see you took Todd's advice and updated your profile to include your location. I wish everyone would do that. Many of us who have layouts love to show them off. Any time you are taking a trip, keep in mind where some of these folks live. Drop them an email and ask for a visit. Most will say yes.

Continue with your questions and see what happens.

And by all means, have fun. If it ain't fun, it ain't worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I agree. You're in the stage of looking around to see what you like. Browse the fora, visit some railroads, meet some people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts