G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be building my Garden RR.  I have a few ideas but would like to get more ideas.  All the pictures I ever see are small sections of layouts.  I am going with a smaller layout for now.  I was wondering if everyone can post some pictures of smaller  layouts and larger if possible but showing the entire or larger portions of your layouts rather than just sections or pieces, if it is possible. I want to see how everyone transitions from lawn to the layout and the use of rocks and other natrual materials for edging etc...   I think It is easier when you see the layout as a whole.   It helps me see those transitions from one area to the other.  I hope this makes sense to everyone on what I am looking for.   

G

·
Shawn,

My layout is a year old.  I still need to finish building the mine/mountain area (right) and modify my stream/lake area (center).  I'll also add building that I've been working on all winter.  But here is a wide shot showing my entire layout and how it fits within our backyard area.  Hope this helps.  :)

For a larger version of the photo, please visit my website at - 
http://www.snr.unl.edu/harvey/railroad.htm

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Great looking plan.  Best part is those two front row seats for perfect viewing. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

Have a ball

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
define small? size doesn't matter..

G

·
Dave,

When it's all finished, there will be a flagstone patio under those chairs.  The black cover is over a fire pit - nice for viewing on cool fall evenings.
We do as you suggest use those chairs to sit back and enjoy the trains.  

Ed

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted By Ed Harvey on 03/14/2008 6:15 PM
Shawn,

My layout is a year old.  I still need to finish building the mine/mountain area (right) and modify my stream/lake area (center).  I'll also add building that I've been working on all winter.  But here is a wide shot showing my entire layout and how it fits within our backyard area.  Hope this helps.  :)

For a larger version of the photo, please visit my website at - 
http://www.snr.unl.edu/harvey/railroad.htm

Nice layout.  What is the length of your mainline?

G

·
Shawn,

My layout has two mainline ovals. The outer is about 150 ft and the inner about 130 ft.  They are connected at two locations so trains can switch ovals.  The outer oval is connected to the station, town and grain complex, and the inner connects to the mine area and a future switch yard.

Ed

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
My layout is out and back, (point to loop) with a provision for continuous running.

The "start" is over on the left hand side - there's a yard and turntable behind that oak tree.   The loop is on the right, but goes behind some plants and another oak, so it's hard to see.  The connector for continuous running is behind the mill about in the center.   During operations, that track becomes my interchange.    There's more track in the foreground that's not visible in this picture.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Posted By lvmosher on 03/15/2008 4:42 AM
Here's one.

There's just someting I find impressive about a man who will go up 50 feet in a bucket truck to take pictures of his railroad.  A true Garden Railroad Hero!  Of course it is a beautiful layout to do such a thing for.  Very nicely done.

But it is a layout that just begs for more pictures.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I too am quite impressed with the aerial photography of the backyard layout.  Are there plans for expansion into the house or in place of the house?

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Right, I know it's not outside..

Still, this is the yard at Winter Valley and it's pretty typical of the rest.

Looking east towards Pearson.

And SD40-2 and a GP9 are on the station track next to the water tank (now a museum) and that track extends east to a grain auger siding located area across from the Co-op grain elevator.  The elevator shares the siding with a small general purpose freight shed on the right.  That track also serviced a small machine shop in days past but that's been converted into a successful bike repair business.

A large overview of all the communities along the main line will be featured in an upcoming update at www.wvrr.ca 

Dave

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
There's just someting I find impressive about a man who will go up 50 feet in a bucket truck to take pictures of his railroad.  A true Garden Railroad Hero!  Of course it is a beautiful layout to do such a thing for.  Very nicely done.

Only because I own a bucket truck;)

The RR runs into the garage... at thelower left hand corner of the aerial picture.

Here's another...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts