G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to lay track next spring and have begun buying track and have a loco. I do have some restrictions in my plan.
First I am going to use the ladder method because the layout will be on 1 inch Pea stone bed.
Second I will be moving in the next couple of years so I nee to be able to lift everything and move it.
Third I live in Eastern coast of Canada and the weather can get rather nasty.
Here is the Loco I will be running along with a few passenger cars.

Here is the layout that I have in mind. I will want to add to this over the years

I would love any insight Pro/con

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Looks like a good start.

The only thing I would change is to go with a wider radius curve. Possibly 12.5 or 14 foot diameters. If you have the space, you might even be able to keep the straight runs the same. If you are planning to pull heavyweight coaches with that locomotive, wider curves will help reduce wear and tear on the locomotive.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Looks nice.

You might even think of 15 or 16ft curves.

That diaganal relieves the common "layout in a box" design.

To add interest, perhaps put a siding in front of your station.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that larger dia turns would be better. I considered it and decided on 10' turns to allow me to add a 20' dia turns on my second layout that will run on the outside perimeter.

Good idea adding a turnout near the station. maybe adding a coaling tower and water Tower behind the station to service the Loco while passengers board.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Great looking loco, congrats! Looks like an LGB model? I run 8' and 9' diameter curves and I can run most anything, at 10' diameter you'll be able to run about anything but a Big Boy. I like the idea of starting small, getting the train running and then expanding, at least that is what I did. It was 2 years before I added my first switches. I do like a long straight so you can see a long train fully stretched out straight. However, you might consider an S curve on one of the shorter straight sections to break up the fairly even geometry.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Be careful with your S curves. On these short runs 10' will be eaten up rather quickly by a 3' long locomotive pulling 3' coaches. Also, watch the S curves in the station area. As a minimum, you should have at least 12" between reversing curves, 24" is probably better. I had a yard where I used the aristo Wide Radius turnouts, with 12.5' diameter reversing. These would not allow parking of USA trains streamlined coaches. In my rebuild of my yard, I have a big S curve, but I put 3-4' between the reversing sections. See the pictures in my thread:

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/9/postid/46660/view/topic/Default.aspx

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Loco is not LGB rather Aristo Craft 4-6-2 Pacific purchase around 18 years ago and went through many owners and several repair shops. When I got it it looked like this.

With many different colors layered. I disassembled every single piece and carefully striped it down to bare plastic. Then I repaired broken parts and made new parts from scratch to replace the missing ones. I then removed all the wires and replaced them with new and better wires. Instead of screwing them in place I soldered them for better conductivity.

This took many long hours and I really enjoyed doing it. I wish I could get all my passenger cars old and beat up so that I can overhaul them but it is very hard to find.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Based on some of the colors I am seeing, it looks like you got one of the Milwaukee Road versions!! Is the pilot something you added? Looks like it came off of a Bachmann 4-6-0. It kind of looks like the valve gear is missing, too. Aristo might have the parts to remedy that, if you were so inclined.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
It's rather striking in that last photo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts