1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
SUPER! Tell me about the overhead. What are the poles made of? Are the poles commercial or did someone make them? The track is on some sort of wood. How are the poles mounted to this track base? How hard is it to string the wire on a portable layout like this one?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill -- John Nelligan of IRM made the modular overhead. The roadbed is Trex or something similar. The poles are about 5/16 steel bar stock, threaded on the end and bolted into cross pieces under the roadbed. The wire is NS. He made the switch frogs from brass; the hangers are from Karl Johnson of Light Rail Products. John made "splice ears" from brass tubing cut lengthwise to join thw wires from module to module. The pull offs actually have small hand-made "johnny ball" insulators in them!

It took a bid of fiddling to get it set up and the wires adjusted properly, but once it was done his single trucker ran flawlessly for 5 hours. If you want more info, let me know and I'll send you his email address off-board.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I love the IRM. I used to visit quite regularly when I lived nearby.. Guess I need to plan a trip to the old stompin' grounds..

Looks like you guys had a great day. I'd love to see more pics and video if you have any.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts