G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a contact with the large scale clubs in Crossville, TN, Nashville, TN, and Knoxville, TN. I know these groups have been active in the past. If you participate in one of these three clubs, please e-mail me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Ted, I'm in the Crossville MRC and live in knoxville, and I know for a fact the crossville club is still going strong, but I have yet to meet up with the knoxville crew yet..

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Good luck on "one of the three" listed there. Even after buying an item off of one of their officers on eBay and being told I would be put on the mailing list, still no contact, no luck.

But my construction goes on.....lone wolf......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Who is doing the Christmas Model Train layout at the University of TN garden......I heard about it this morning and went to the university of tn garden web site.  It is opening 26 Nov. until 4 Jan I think....www.ut.garden.tennessee.edu      We plan on going to see it when we are in Sevierville for Christmas....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob,
Be sure to plan to come to Dalton for the Big Southeast Garden Railroad Show next May 1-2. It is going to be BIG! Also, Three Rivers Rambler is a nice train ride in Knoxville. I don't know if they will operate when you are in the Knoxville area or not, but check them out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark Furhman is doing the UT layout. I have seen his work at the Knoxville Home & Garden Show and it is SPECTACULAR, so don't miss this display!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have inquired with the club in Nashville several times myself and have recieved nothing that resembled their interest in my joining their club. They could use some organization and people skills in my opinion. I have been thinking of getting in touch with the Crossville guys though as they actually seem to exist.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Engineercub,
I have visited the Crossville layout at the mall and they seemed to really be interested in trains AND PEOPLE! I think you will enjoy that group. I would join if closer. But by all means, attend the Southeast Garden Railroad Show in Dalton next May 1-2.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Engineercub on 11/29/2008 2:10 AM
I have inquired with the club in Nashville several times myself and have recieved nothing that resembled their interest in my joining their club. They could use some organization and people skills in my opinion.

Glad I am not the only one.

I even had one guy at 100 Oaks about 3 or so years back try and talk me OUT of joining until I have a completed railway.

I have been told about 3-4 times that I would be contacted about their meetings.....

Such support for the hobby, but then how many other large metropolitan areas like Nashville have no real hobbyshops?

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Ted Yarbrough on 11/29/2008 4:38 AM
Engineercub,
I have visited the Crossville layout at the mall and they seemed to really be interested in trains AND PEOPLE! I think you will enjoy that group. I would join if closer. But by all means, attend the Southeast Garden Railroad Show in Dalton next May 1-2.

A friend in Cookeville looked into them once. He said it was an interesting and active group, mostly retiree Yankee half-backs (Florida to hot, Rustblet too cold). I have yet to catch them open (my fault) but they have some interesting layouts in Crossville at the mall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, since I seem to be spokesperson for the Crossville guys on here so far, lol, I'd like to say we'd love fo you all to stop by and check us out, we're open to the public Fridays 12-4, Saturday 10-5, and Sunday 1-4. Our website is: http://www.crossvillemrc.com/ there are some older photos of the layouts and such on there, as well as some photos of member's layouts. I'm one of the younger members, at 23, so I'm trying to be more proactive in helping the group get some more publicity. If you all need any more information, just let me know and I can go through the channels and help you out if possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, i'm in knoxville and part of the crossville club so it's a bit of a drive for me too, but even if i wasn't in the club, it's worth at leat one trip to see. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Garrett,
I'll second Darktalon's statement that the Crossville's layout is worth the trip!

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Yes, the Mrs, two kids and I tried to catch it on the way back from Athens, but it was closed.

However, I am up that way frequently for work.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for the information Darktalon, I was just up that way recently to photograph the trestles along the Franklin Industrial Railroad. Since I am going to be building my own for the outdoor layout soon I wanted some hands-on research, so to speak. It was a little less than 2 hours from home so I certainly couldn't make every meeting, but would love to visit you guys sometime. And Ted, I actually put in my bids for vacation for 2009 and hopefully will get the first week of May off to go to Dalton for that Southeast Garden Railroad Show. I hope I get that week. There's a good chance for me as I have 10 years of seniority ^^ If I go I hope to meet you there. Is it pretty big? Thanks.
-Will

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Yeah, it is vacation bid time for CSXT, I just got off the phone with a friend putting his in.

Franklin Limestone (ex TC) would make an intersting theme for a garden RR.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts