G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Fictional railroad from the imagination of LGB. What are the first letters in the name of the railroad, Lake George and Boulder?

Those are legitimate geographic features in Colorado, but were never connected by a railroad of that name.

I always thought that it was a very good name for a company making toy trains based on Colorado narrow gauge.

Chuck

They could have done "Lake Granby and Bond", but it doesn't have the correct ring.

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
As I understand it, the Lake George and Boulder was created by an individual and he gave the rights for free to LGB.
So as this being a fictional RR, any equipment can be run on it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hoped this to be the setting but it is in NY State, not in Colorado, there is a bay and small town on the coast of this lake named Boulder Bay.
If I was to write a fictional story of the Lake George & Boulder railroad I would use this romanting settings.
Lake George, nicknamed the Queen of American Lakes, is a long, narrow oligotrophic lake located at the southeast base of the Adirondack Mountains, in the northeastern portion of the U.S. state of New York. Wikipedia
Area: 114 km²
Surface elevation: 97 m
Length: 51.8 km

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is also a Boulder Bay in the town of Lake George NY, It does not seem to be the same one as on the photo also on Lake George. I wonde if the man from LGB was on holidays there...

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Go for it!
Greay place for a narrow gauge railroad

http://tinyurl.com/qa8y9qu

Over the years LGB made a fair number of locos as well as passenger and freight cars with the LG&B logos, they come up on ebay all the time.

To get an idea what's available you can take a look on the database at www.gbdb.info

Use the advanced search on the left and search for Lake George

Searching for LG&B doesn't work because the "&" is a special SQL character

Knut

·
Premium Member
229 Posts

Whenever kids visit I usually run my yellow train. It never fails to attract attention.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The two top models for LG&B in the LGB range is the 2119d bumblebee mogul and the Forney in the same paint scheme. I believe the gentlemans name was the late Charles Small that came up with the Lake George and Boulder name back in the very early days of LGB in America.

·
3,001 Posts
LGB tended to use the Lake George & Boulder line in starter sets and other somewhat less expensive (but no less quality) items.

I always thought they were suggesting Denver & Rio Grande with the "Bumble Bee" yellow colors. This is perhaps reinforced by their 2119d LG&B Mogul (d or 1 = no sound) when in more recent times they produced the 21192 D&RGW Mogul (2 or s = with sound - typically 2 (or 4) = digital sound and s = analog sound). Numbers were sometimes different sometimes without obvious reasons.

A lot of us simply placed decals over the "Lake George & Boulder" to change the "railroad" to whatever we wanted it to be.

Have fun,

Jerry

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
The yellow 0-4-0 with 2 matching 2 axle passenger cars, track and controller were BLOWOUT for $175 years back.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
For Lake George and Boulder there were Steel grey, red and yellow sets in the 2015/2017 ('American' style stainz) and a steel grey and yellow power tender.

And more sets in the Toytrain line.
Small 2 axle flat cars were yellow, blue, red, and black.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another very interesting thing I've just noticed. Same initials as manufacturer LGB LG&B Surely not a coincidence.
My LG&B "Rusty" 0-4-0 is red and green and when I'm finished with it it will remain a LG&B but will be black , brown, brass and bronze.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Chuck, I red your post but I did not catch that that was what you meant, I've reread it and I see that it was indeed what you meant, same initials. Great.
Perhaps a very successful way to make the letters sink into the mind of the buyer without the buyer realizing it consciously?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
In the old LGB number code, D didnt = no sound. D= smoke. S= sound. Like my 2018d mogul, this was the very first LGB mogul, with smoke. The 2019s is the first Colorado and Southern mogul #6 with sound(analog). I love my moguls, but they do not like the R1 curves on my outdoor layout. I loved my 2119d mogul, closest I could get to the 368 bumblebee of the DRGW(really a C16 2-8-0). Cheers Mike

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
I remember ordering an LG&B refrigerator car. When the car arrived, I was dismayed to find that it was "Pepto Bismol" pink! I got nauseous just looking at it. It was one of the few items that I ever returned to Watts Train Shop.

Had the LG&B "bumblebee" Mogul for a short time. Nice engine, but the real one was a Consolidation. Once the Consolidation became available from Aristo/Delton, I switched to that locomotive.

Regards,
David Meashey

·
Registered
756 Posts
i have that pink car and love it!
theres nothing else like it, and looks great with the other lg&b box cars and reefers, and the arizona green tank car, to me.

this scheme is among my favorites. benn toying with doing a bumblebee cab and yellow dome and lantern, for an otherwise black porter

1 - 20 of 33 Posts